Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I use for a Router table plate?

I have the Incra master lift 3/8" aluminum plate. Never take my makita router out of it and it has never sagged. Never heard of a 3/8" aluminum plate sagging. I am building my own table. The top is made of 1 1/2" MDF with laminate top and bottom. Under this I built a cross brace frame out of 3/4" x 2" oak cross braced at a min of every 10". Extra cross braceing around the router and mounting plate. Yes EVERYTHING I build is over built. The cabinet which is not done yet is very heavy duty as well. With my router the top and cabinet less drawers and not quite all the sheeting it weights in at about 100 pounds. The top and cabinet is fairly large at 32"x48"

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Forman View Post
    I have the Incra master lift 3/8" aluminum plate. Never take my makita router out of it and it has never sagged. Never heard of a 3/8" aluminum plate sagging. I am building my own table. The top is made of 1 1/2" MDF with laminate top and bottom. Under this I built a cross brace frame out of 3/4" x 2" oak cross braced at a min of every 10". Extra cross braceing around the router and mounting plate. Yes EVERYTHING I build is over built. The cabinet which is not done yet is very heavy duty as well. With my router the top and cabinet less drawers and not quite all the sheeting it weights in at about 100 pounds. The top and cabinet is fairly large at 32"x48"
    Darcy -

Greetings from out east in New Brunswick. If you have a chance to shoot some pics and pop them up here, I'd like to see your progress. The size you have is close to what I have been thinking about as well as the lift.

Cheers,
    Lewis

I work in the aluminum industry and the only way a piece the size of a router plate could sag is #1. the plate was too thin (a 1/4 inch or less) or #2 it was supported from the 4 corners only.

3/8" polycarbonate is my standard plate of choice. I have yet to "buy" a router table plate. c'mon now I just don't get it. Look in the yellow pages for someone that sells plastics locally - walk in the door and ask if they have any drops or scraps of 3/8 polcarbonate. while you're at it get some 1/8" high density pvc or similar. Tell them what you need it for and they can recommend something suitable they have available. The 1/8" stock is for zero clearance inserts. Cut your plate to size and hole saw the center to the throat diameter of your router. Use a 3/8 rabbet bit set to 1/8 thickness for the inserts. machine the inserts to fit- done. I have 4 plates for 4 different routers. saves me hours of set-up time.
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Thanks for all the comments. I am sort of a perfectionist when I do things.

I decided on a Kreg insert plate. Dont ask me why I choose that particular one. Maybe because it didn't have holes all over it. Haven't installed it yet, hoping to do it this weekend.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Schulz View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I am sort of a perfectionist when I do things.

I decided on a Kreg insert plate. Dont ask me why I choose that particular one. Maybe because it didn't have holes all over it. Haven't installed it yet, hoping to do it this weekend.

Bob
    Don't forget you'll have to post the after pictures of the completed cabinet and top too

Lewis here are the pictures you requested. I still have lots of work to do. Hopefully I can get the cabinet finished after Christmas.
    Attached Images Attached Images