Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rising Fire"

"Rising Fire"

This was a new experience for me on several accounts. First, I had never really turned a burl before and second I had never dyed a turning. This burl was bought at the same time I bought all the African Blackwood, from Glimer Woods. Its great stuff and their burl caps are dry.

This is a Big Leaf Maple Burl cap, elevated by African Blackwood. The burl was dyed with a mixture of Scarlet RIT dye and Dna, sanded back, coated with boiled linseed oil and lacquered. The natural edge of the burl was treated with Jacobean stain. I am not 100% on the pedestal design and so it's not glued on yet!

My wife thinks the burl is so nice that she said, "Oh my, you need to order some more of that!" No finer words have ever been spoken!

The piece is 7 1/2" across and 9" tall. A little less than 1/8" thickness on the burl.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

-------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Beautiful work Scott! If the piece is balanced with that size pedestal - I would leave it as is!

Beautiful color and I like how you highlighted the natural edge!

You sure been kicking out some high quality work lately! Something in the water?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I am a real sucker for BLM burl and love this piece - the overall form with the uniform curve really make it for me. I would have to agree with Steve re the dyed edge, although I think the base of the pedestal could be a bit larger to balance the piece. Lovely form, wood and finish.

Steve beat me to it!

Scott that is one beautiful piece. Really well done and I like the highlighted color you added. I would agree with Steve if it balances ok I would leave it alone.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 11-28-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's great! I like the simplicity of the pedestal... It lets the burl shine.

I'm not sold on the color, but that could just be the photos.

Your wife sounds like a real sweetheart... She's definitely a keeper. Now, if you could just have her visit with my wife...

Stop...don't move...glue it. Don't change a thing.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Pretty cool piece! You did a nice job with it....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Beautiful piece Scott.

I think it looks great like it is; wood, color, proportions and all. But I would be afraid it would blow over in a slight draft. Maybe stick it to the shelf with some carpet tape?
    Chuck Jones

I can only wish I had your talent. Just beautiful.

Rising Fire

Scott
    I'll 2nd D.Reed ,but oh so beutiful keep holding the tools the same way.

Nice going Scott. Love the burl and color and edge treatment. Not crazy about the pedestal shape or the small base. A larger base would be better IMHO.

Looks great. Love the burl. I think the pedestal works ok with the piece. You have really been turning out some nice pieces.

Scott, some very nice work! BLM is one of my very favorite woods to turn!

While I think the pedestal works, it probably could be a little larger in the base. The cup on this one is fairly large.

The uniformity of the embellishments at the top/bottom, coupled with the thinnest area being in the middle, gives the sense of being a little "light" in the bottom of the pedestal. With a different design of the stem, the size of the base may work better. Depending on your tastes, you might consider using a piece of the burl for a little wider base.

However, as is everything in "art" - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have done a wonderful job on this piece. I really like the dyed BLM burl pieces.