Thread: Delta/Rockwell 34-335 repair assistance

Delta/Rockwell 34-335 repair assistance

Hi,

I just bought a Delta/Rockwell 34-335 on Craigslist for $50. It was a gamble as the tilt/height adjustments were frozen from lack of use/rust, but upon disassembly/cleaning/lube, nearly everything is working fantastically. This was my dad's Christmas present for me and I'm proud of my used tool hunting as this seems to be unbelievably better than what would have been in the price range in stores today!

I've seen others with older Delta/Rockwells and wanted to ask for some help. Specifically:

1) The only thing I have not been able to remove is the arbor pulley/bearing assembly. I wanted to grease the actual arbor bearings as well as the motor output shaft bearings but don't know how to get the pulley and belt off. Is it just press fit? Threaded? If I can get it off, I can also replace the belt.

My diagram is here: http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...34-335_TYPE_1/

This is a different model but the schematics look the same (this one is easier to read): http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...334_12768.html

How do I remove 126 from 176?

It's currently running just fine... should I just leave it alone? I ask because I really can't tell what I'm dealing with. The back end (motor side, not blade side) of the arbor shaft looks like it might have a thin metal cap, perhaps to cover the bearings and allow for grease. One the other hand... it might be solid. What I *don't* want to do is press on that and damage the bearings or prevent their moving.

2) The motor bogs down. It still cuts, but I've been surprised at how much it seems to lag when making even light cuts. I've used my circular saw on the same circuit and both are 13 amp motors so I don't think it's my garage power (15a). I did notice that turning off my electric heater helped but the issue is still present.

Suggestions for this? Does anyone ever replace the motor? The housing is pretty unique and I'm not sure if the motor alone can be replaced while leaving the toothed housing (for the worm gear tilt) in place. Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

3) The blade has a slight wobble. Other types of saws seem to have "trunnion" adjustment methods but I don't recall seeing anything like this on mine. I did find this: http://woodgears.ca/saw_arbor/index.html. Is that a good method when adjustment methods are not provided?

4) Does anyone buy aftermarket fences for these? Mine is okay, but it seems a little "goofy." It's got two tightening adjustments -- one for the far side that cinches up this little hook device on the bar and one bigger knob for tightening up the operator side. This does not guarantee a parallel fence. I've been making due by measuring where I want it, then using a quick square to check the angle to the table edge and then slowly tightening the back and then the front while making sure things stay put. I'd be open to replacing the fence with something more effective/reliable, though the current one is working for me.

Thanks for any help. I have tried many many avenues to get some help with this saw but it's been extremely difficult. This seems to be a pretty healthy forum and I'm hoping someone with more experience can provide some input.

John

I used to have the same saw. It never had all that much power, but before I got rid of it it had gotten worse. It is likely the motor needs new brushes or the commutator is full of crud. You will have to service the motor. If the overload circuit breaker pops when it bogs down, that is likely the culprit. Also make sure you are using a nice sharp blade and it is not binding in the cut.

I don't think the bearings are greaseable, they should be permanently lubed and you should leave them alone unless they start to make noise or get loose.

I hate to say it, but my saw was in the same condition as yours and I gave it away. Good luck with it. Even when it was running well it didn't cut very smoothly or precisely.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 11-29-2010 at 6:36 PM.

@Josiah:

Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the bearings. Bummer to know about the overall performance of the saw. I like the data point but can't help but hope another forum member had better luck Darn buyer's remorse. It was need for a table saw that prompted the Christmas present from dad... it was very generous of him, but a bummer that the tool was bought in time of timely need for a project vs. when I could have sat down and down some proper research.

I'm still hoping this saw is better than anything close I could have bought in a store like a Makita job site for $120ish. Maybe the newer cheapies are better than I figured?

Oh, what about just the pulley itself? For instance, how does one change the belt? Just pry it off and stretch it to get it back on? Seems odd that one would have to pry it over the pulley flange vs. letting some slack in or pulling the pulley itself but maybe not.

Thanks again for the reply.