Thread: Urethane Bandsaw Tires

Blog Entries

Urethane Bandsaw Tires

The last time I replaced the tires on my 14" Jet B.S, I warmed the tires in the microwave to soften them. I was advised to do so by the store keeper I purchased them from.
    My tires failed and I have new urethane tires from Carter coming, so the problem presents itself again.
    Have any of you done it this way?

Warm water---Carroll

I put mine in hot water, almost boiling, for a few minutes. Then, while wearing work gloves, I stretched them onto the wheels. It went fairly well, but they still don't go on all that easy. I wouldn't use a microwave because they don't heat evenly. They put a rotating table into microwaves to try to even out the heating, but they still don't do that well of a job.

Charley

Blog Entries
    +1 on hot water. Microwave??? Really??? I would watch further recommendations from that fellow.

Micro wave isn't going to heat plastic. It has no water in it. Do you mean you put the tires into a container of water in the microwave?

140º water for 5 minutes. Wear gloves.
    Call the storekeeper and get a new set, for free.
    His directions were bad.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-04-2010 at 9:26 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Very hot water.

If don't don't say a few well-chosen words and end up with a couple of sore fingers, they aren't tight enough.

Hot water on mine too, and it's still tough. I used a flat-bar tire spoon to help stretch it on there, while a clamp kept it from being chased off of the other end.

Blog Entries
    The advice was to put them in the microwave without water. I did it and they lasted for 3-4 years.
    Yesterday, the bandsaw popped and I found about 2 1/2" of the top tire on the floor.

As I was considering how to heat the tires this time, I became skeptical about the microwave treatment. That's why I posted this inquiry and will use the hot water method this time.

Thanks for all of the responses . It helps. This is a great forum.

As a side light, I ordered a set from Amazon with one day delivery. Tracking indicates that they arrived in Houston early this morning and delivery is scheduled this afternoon. Shipping costs were less than $4.

I would have had to make a 60 mile round trip to purchase them locally.

Do these urethane tires require sanding, like the rubber ones, to even out the shape?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Blog Entries
    No, the tires are uniform in thickness and flat. The crown is cast into the wheel rim.

The tires arrived 22 1/2 hours after I ordered them. Total shipping cost was less than $8.

The manufacturers recommendation is to heat them in water not to exceed 120 degrees F for a specified time. Thats what I will endeavor to do.

How can a micro wave heat plastic???? Does it somehow have water in it? Did the tires actually get hot from just being put in the micro wave? Now I'm curious.

Can't specifically say about urethanes, and I don't know the science - but some polymers (e.g. nylon and HDPE) definitely take up quite a lot of moisture.

Nylon somehow becomes quite brittle if it's dried out....

ian

Blog Entries
    The tires did get warm and I could stretch them.
    The tires I microwaved were open on a rack at a local store and no instructions came with them.

The microwave will heat china and most any thing stuck in the oven. I wonder if microwaving plastic might change the plastic's properties. It could have made the tires brittle, although the failure came about 3-4 years after I put them on.
    Only one of the tires failed, but it was not at all resilient after the failure.

The Carter tires that I received today have instuctions to warm the tires in hot water at 120 degrees F. That's what I'm going to do.

I used 3 hand screw clamps.

Clamp the tire to the rim.. Stretch the urethane about a foot from the clamp.. Apply a second clamp to the stretched area, then do the same in the other direction..

Remove the first clamp and repeat.

It worked really well for me.