Thread: Wall Cabinet in Cherry

Wall Cabinet in Cherry

I thought I'd share some pictures of a small cherry wall cabinet that I recently completed. This was an interesting project and required some new techniques for me:

I made a scratch stock to create the bead on the top molding as well as the bead on the back pieces. It worked well and I was impressed with the quality of the cut from a very simple tool. It was part of an old scraper blade with the shape for the bead cut with a small chainsaw file and then fitted into a scrap block and secured with a thumbscrew. It produced the beads faster than I could set up the router table and fence.

The dentil molding is composed of maple and walnut. It was a glued up lamination that was then cross cut on the table saw and ripped into thin strips on the bandsaw. A little tedious gluing the strips on. Once glued, the dentil was flattened and smoothed with a shoulder plane.

The rest of the cabinet is basic construction with a raised and fielded panel door. The carcass is secured with sliding dovetails on the top and bottom pieces and seems to make a fairly strong box. The shelves are housed in dados. It's designed to hang with a french cleat. Overall, it's about 25" in height x 12" wide x 5" deep.

The finish is Tru Oil. This is the first time I've used it. Simple to put on and after 3 applications, it left a very nice finish. Not something for a large project but a small piece like this seems to be ideal.

Thanks for looking.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    East Side of Big D

Very Nice - I am thinking of doing something very similar with a smoked glass door. Nicely executed.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice! I am also planning on doing something similar in an upcoming bathroom remodel.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

One more that may have to steal a little of the design...
    I need a storage cabinet for blurays for our home theater room.
    Nice work Tom. And thanks for the look see.

Nice cab tom.The quality of the cherry is something i look for when i am at the suppler.Good job clean look.