Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need advise for choosing new paring chisel

I've been using some incannel and offset patternmaker's paring gouges lately for convex curves on saw handles. From my use, the additional length gives you a better degree of finesse, same as with a paring chisel. But the offset (dogleg, crank neck) handle does a couple of things IMHO. First of all, I'm usually using a paring chisel or gouge bevel-side down. With a regular paring chisel, slicing bevel side down, the handle is hiked up in the air, which can sometimes make for an uncomfortable angle and less control. With a crank-necked paring chisel, the paring action takes place in-line with the bevel. Kinda easier to show than to write about it.

For sliding dovetails, there are a couple of special purpose planes, the Stanley 444 at a mere $1000, or there's an Ulmia type out there. I think Lee Valley sells it. You could also use a special-purpose stair saw with a batten as a combination fence and depth guide to create the angled sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    I think the case stated, "sliding dovetails," qualifies, assuming they're long. I wouldn't recommend buying a set of any chisels, nor would I use cranked/goose necks as primary paring chisels either.

Pam
    !
    I missed the "sliding" part as well. Goodness! I make those with a router. LOL.

I Have A BlueSpruce 1/2" and waiting for the 1" I ordered, WELL worth the money. They are beautiful tools and a joy to use, Buy once cry once.

I have the Sorbeys and have had no problems with them unless I get too radical with the bevel angle - my fault not theirs! I may just have some good "uns.

I also have crank neck chisels and would totally agree with George - using them is alot like pushing a rope. They do look pretty in my drawer though -and that's usually where they stay.

I have a couple of these and really like them

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...gory_Code=TBPC
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis