Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laguna anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Shaun, those smaller Laguna bandsaws are made in Taiwan and IMO you might as well buy a Grizzly and save yourself some money (especially given Laguna's history of customer service problems). If you are looking at the 16HD or larger saws then they are all excellent. Comparable products would be Aggazzani from Eagle Tools and the Minimax saws.
    The 3000 series is indeed Asian BUT they are a far sight from the Grizzlys. Have you compared each in person? The 14SUV is an excellent saw and I plan to get it or the 16 3000 for a second saw. Just look at the wheel bearings of the 14 SUV and compare them to ANY 14" saw and the size difference will astound you. The Laguna guides are just the best guides for a hobby sized bandsaw also.

I have read some of the Felder salesmen don't recommend the Felder bandsaws - is that true? Maybe you should ask them first. I saw a 24" Felder saw at a shop in Chicago and no way I would trade my MM20 for it. Personal feelings but it was light weight compared to my MM20. It was prettier though and both doors opened at teh same time and would be MORE than enough saw for me but having the MM20 that is the bar I have to measure against . I would look at MM but then again that is what I own and I think it is great but there has been some MM hate threads recently so best to just find a good local dealer that can show you one or wait till a big international show and put your hands on all the vendr's saws that attend. Not a purchase to take lightly. I bought a MM20 sight unseen until I went to pay for it and having only touched a 16HD before.

Agazanni get good press too btw. That would be a safe bet to buy unseen too as is the MM especially if you can find one used.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    their customer service leaves something to be desired
    +1
    I have the 14SE. Bought about 5 years ago. I was disappointed originally as it was advertised with a 2hp motor. Turns out the motor they have on it is proprietary and was not one that was easily compared. Using the plate data, I found my motor was only capable of about 1hp. I complained and they stated it was "2hp saw duty" which is garbage.
    I made them replace the motor. I do not think my saw would run well with the original motor. Ultimately they made everything right but there was a lot of back and forth. I probably would not buy another tool from them. I think I could have done much better with something cheaper.
    So far the saw is fine, I just think there are only a few things you need to look for in a bandsaw (wheels, spine, motor) and you shouldn't need to spend a lot of money on one as it is not a precision machine to start with.

My. $02

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I saw a 24" Felder saw at a shop in Chicago and no way I would trade my MM20 for it. Personal feelings but it was light weight compared to my MM20. .
    The reality is every steel spined saw imported to the US currently is light weight compared to the Minimax line. I would be completely happy with a Laguna or Agazzani but wouldn't trade my MM20 for them.

I currently have an LT14 3000 series from Laguna and I'm very happy with it. I've owned bandsaws from Grizzly in the past and they were very good as well. I find my current saw to be better than the griz 513x2 I used to own.

I've a very happy owner of a 14SUV. The 14SUV also got good marks in a FWW head to head with a number of "full size" 18" BSs. I'm really not sure there is any other 14"er that compares. Very easy to use, rock solid, resaws really well. I have had very good luck with Laguna's customer service, but I gather that isn't universal. But, the machine is wonderful.