Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering three new machines... need help on one.

Ordering three new machines... need help on one.

Need a refresh on some shop items. I'm just about to hit the order button on a few Grizzly machines...

G0690 Tablesaw
    G0604ZX 6" Spiral cutterhead Joiner

However, here is the rub: Bandsaw...
    This is the one I was going to order:17" G0513X2B (backordered until May)
    So now I'm back to downsizing to the 14" G0457. Or, jumping up to the bigger 19" G0514X2 saw with a foot brake, or the G00514X2B motor brake.

It will be used mostly for scroll work, cabinet bottom feet, furniture legs etc. Re-sawing will be secondary. I know the 14" would probably suffice. However would prefer the brake, the beefiness of the larger machine. Is the 19" way overkill or is bigger better? Manual brake vs motor brake?

I've researched the best I could but would like to hear what you guys have to say... 14", 19"...? I'll probably go with the most votes from this thread. Or flip a coin

Thanks for any help.

I'd go with the bigger machine if you can afford it. You'll be ahead in the end if you step up to the bigger machine now instead of buying again later if you want to upgrade.

I was faced with the same situation a few months ago when I went to order the 513x2b. It was on backorder til end of December. I did not want to wait so I considered the same two you are thinking about. After agonizing and even looking at other brands, I finally decided to wait. As a matter of fact, my 513x2b was delivered today, and I am glad I waited. I plan to have this saw for a long time, so it was worth the wait.
    Also, 6 months ago, I took delivery of a GO690 table saw. I bought the slider as well and I love the saw. You will be very happy with it, I am sure.

G0513P. You can always change the bearings & fence later if they don't please you. I am very happy with mine vs the 14" iron saw it replaced.

For me the G0457 is not the normal Grizzly value for money compared to the other 14" steel spined saws available so I just don't see it as a contender. I prefer foot brakes to motor brakes and would probably just go for the 514.

Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry I haven't responded, my internet has been down for a few days.

Back to the task at hand...

A little research is a dangerous thing. I took a ride to a friend's shop who has an older model Grizzly 24" bandsaw that is used strictly for re-sawing. I had the Grizzly catalog in tow so I could measure and scale the 513X2 & 514X2 against his... the 514 is close enough in size that I realize its waaaay too big for my needs or shop (24' x 28'). His saw has a pedal brake with micro switch that I especially like when your cutting in front of the saw so you don't have to reach around for the off button... just hit the pedal... nice. Just nice knowing that option is there in a pinch for whatever reason. Decided I want a pedal brake... so the Grizzly 513's are also out.

Back to the drawing board and came up with the Laguna LT 14 SUV. 3hp, pedal brake, etc. Only thing that bugs me is the low table height (34") compared to the Grizzly 457 (42") or 413 (37"). I could always put it on a riser. Now that it's down to a 14", any other contenders that have the bells and whistles the Laguna has?

The Grizzly joiner is a lock. Now on to the tablesaw...

Right now I'm using my 35 year old Unisaw with a Unifence and Jessem Mast R Slide. Its getting a little long in the tooth (like me), just replaced the switch. The action is getting a little sloppy etc. I'm going to make it strictly a crosscut saw with the Jessem sled and then oppose it to the new saw and have a center island act as outfeed table for both.

I'm having second thoughts on the Grizzly G0690. I've read enough slighted things as I've read good things about it. Seems hit or miss on the quality. Other thing that troubles me is the lack of a thin kerf riving blade... is this true?

I went back to consider my other two contenders: the new style Unisaw and PM2000. I noticed the Unisaw's price just jumped up again (missed the end of year sale I guess) but the Powermatic's price is holding it seems. I also find the new setback of the Unisaw's blade being farther away from the front of the table another two inches a bit of a strain on my back clearing boards past the blade. Looks like the G0690 has the same blade setback (?) So... Unisaw out, Powermatic in... sort of.

Can anyone tell me how the effort and smoothness of the up & down/tilt trunnion action of the Grizzly compares to the PM2000? Or any vibration issues they may have? I'm not doing nearly as much production as I used to but I still do appreciate quality. Only thing holding the Grizzly in my head is the less than half price of the PM. Can the PM be that much better... or the Grizzly suck that much? I've used the PM2000 in another shop and liked it. I have no experience with anything Grizzly so I'm a little apprehensive. Enlighten me...

I have the g0555 then upgraded to the original g0514.. since getting the 514 i never use the little one anymore.. the 19" cutting capacity and the 2hp motor are awesome. the saw never struggles for any cuts.. only wish they had all the extras when i bought it as they do now.

I have the 691 and it is a great saw. I've never used the PM2000, but have looked at them several times. It is true that Grizzly doesn't have a thin kerf knife. But not sure why you would need to run TK blades with the 3 hp motor. I do have a WWII 30 tooth TK that is so new, I'd like to be able to use it. But a new, high quality full kerf 24 rip blade would only cost me about 55 bucks, so not sure if a TK knife would even be worth it. I have thought about cutting my guard down and having it ground down to be a TK knife. Not sure what that would cost. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-01-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: there's no "m" on the word "quality".
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

19" G0514X2

--Rethink your band saw decision, that 514x2 with the footbrake is the SWEET spot for band saws. It takes up no more space in a shop than a 14" delta. After 2 years of research I decided on the 514x2. Ended up getting a 20" Agazzani due to some craigslist luck, but I'm a big fan of the 514x2. I've got a 14" delta and the 20"Agazzani, and they both take up the same space in the shop when it's said and done, one just looks larger while doing it.

The Laguna 14 LT SUV is nice, but I'd rather have the 19" Grizzly, the larger tables are nice as well as the rack/pinion table support and adjust, and I'd trust the customer service if needed, far more.

G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife is the table saw I'd get from Grizzly.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

The higher table on a band saw is nice for the scroll work and legs that you are planning; the lower table is nice for resawing. Big table is nice, and really wished I had a bigger one when working with log chunks. But table of a 14" saw is generally fine for working on pieces. The wheels on my 14" saw stops relatively quickly compared to the wind-down time I've seen on bigger saws.

I'm curious why you are thinking of a getting a large bandsaw but are then picking out a 6" jointer with spiral head?

If you place your order with grizzly now, are you able to cancel prior to it shipping? Might want to just go ahead and do this, and then keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals on alternatives.

Matt

Ok, here's a solution...get the Griz G0690, take the extra money you would have used to go to the PM 2000, add it to the Griz Bandsaw money, and see if you can get a Mini Max MM16. You'll be set. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I have the 691 and it is a great saw. I've never used the PM2000, but have looked at them several times. It is true that Grizzly doesn't have a thin kerf knife. But not sure why you would need to run TK blades with the 3 hp motor. I do have a WWII 30 tooth TK that is so new, I'd like to be able to use it. But a new, high quality full kerf 24 rip blade would only cost me about 55 bucks, so not sure if a TK knife would even be worth it. I have thought about cutting my guard down and having it ground down to be a TK knife. Not sure what that would cost. Jim.
    Good point. I have a half dozen thin kerfs in rotation because my Unisaw is one of those high torque 1.5 hp Rockwell motors. Never had much of an issue with power but the thin kerf helps. Yeah, I think I'm going to hold the course and see how the 690 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    19" G0514X2

--Rethink your band saw decision, that 514x2 with the footbrake is the SWEET spot for band saws. It takes up no more space in a shop than a 14" delta. After 2 years of research I decided on the 514x2. Ended up getting a 20" Agazzani due to some craigslist luck, but I'm a big fan of the 514x2. I've got a 14" delta and the 20"Agazzani, and they both take up the same space in the shop when it's said and done, one just looks larger while doing it.

The Laguna 14 LT SUV is nice, but I'd rather have the 19" Grizzly, the larger tables are nice as well as the rack/pinion table support and adjust, and I'd trust the customer service if needed, far more.

G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife is the table saw I'd get from Grizzly.
    I'm hearin' ya loud and clear. Value wise doesn't make sense not to get the bigger 514X2. I'm just not seeing the need, though I may grow into it and find other uses. How do these bigger saws handle smaller blades for doing scroll work and curves?... seeing that they are used mostly for resawing. Any issues with tracking a narrow blade on a big wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    The higher table on a band saw is nice for the scroll work and legs that you are planning; the lower table is nice for resawing. Big table is nice, and really wished I had a bigger one when working with log chunks. But table of a 14" saw is generally fine for working on pieces. The wheels on my 14" saw stops relatively quickly compared to the wind-down time I've seen on bigger saws.

I'm curious why you are thinking of a getting a large bandsaw but are then picking out a 6" jointer with spiral head?

If you place your order with grizzly now, are you able to cancel prior to it shipping? Might want to just go ahead and do this, and then keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals on alternatives.

Matt
    Hi Matt, only considering the bigger saw because of the bang for the buck. If Grizzly made a Euro style 14" with a brake I'd be all over it. I think the 0457 would probably fill my needs, but when you consider the 0513X2 is only $100 more... its a no brainer (don't understand the price differential on these two). Now take it from there... for $400 more than the 0513X2 the 0514X2 is even bigger. Better, larger tilting table, more hp, pedal brake, etc. So you see... I can't stop the insanity.

Had a Delta DJ20 joiner that went with my old partner to his new shop a few years ago. I've been getting by with an old 6"X46" Powermatic joiner since then. I really only use the joiner for straightening and cleaning up edges of pieces already cut to shorter lengths for cabinet work. I don't need a wider joiner. The newer Grizzly is a bit longer and figured I'd give the spiral cutter a go.

At this point in the game I'm basically done with the constant production grind, I'm downsizing for my retirement shop.
    Last edited by Kerry Kling; 01-02-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Get the G1023RL instead of the G0690 and off set the extra cost of the G0514X2.