Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaver bowl

Now that is just awesome! A blending of nature and your talent, I love it! That is one of the most unique turnings I have seen.

Thumbs up

You have a good eye to spot an opportunity. Looks great, very creative.
    Joe

Now that is just too good! I love the "beaver bowl" look! Thanks for sharing it's wonderful!

So, do you have this beaver on retainer for future efforts?!?!? Fantastic concept, and I assume you carved out the middle of this bowl as you state there was no turning involved. Great work!

I suspect one could chuck up a piece like this between centers, turn a bottom and a tenon, and then hollow it on the lathe. Not sure it would have the same appeal, but it might get you to the point of carving the rest of it a little quicker.

I really like this piece!! You need to look for more of these!

Very cool even if not turned! Definitely a conversation piece!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You and your assistant did a fine job! I love it...Bill...
    Last edited by Bill Bolen; 12-31-2010 at 4:43 PM.

There is a pretty big sugar maple that the beavers have toppled on my property. I look at it and never thought what you did. I like it. May have to go back down there and help the beavers out.

That's one artsy beaver (and you done good too) Love the bowl.

9. I can envision a new gallery genre...........Beaver Bowls! Now that will be all the rage across the country, and every gallery must have one to display!

All you chainsaw jockeys had better lace up your boots, put on your chaps, and get to the beaver blank huntin', because ya' gotta strike while the iron is hot and the interest is there.

Beaver Bowls! Needs marketing and samples............all the naturalists will applaud the second vocation of the beavers, but probably not the vocation of the guy who turned the inside. I tell ya' it ain't fair!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's pretty cool, saves on sharpening gouges for the detail work.

This piece of collaborative art completely redefines "Natural Edge" - kudos to both!
    Russ
    Will Turn for Coffee

Thank you for all the compliments. I found the piece of wood while hunting in upstate NY, as soon as I saw the gears started to turn. I've yet to find another piece like this. I lightly sanded the outside and carved out the inside, all by hand.

You know, we don't have beaver's around so. cal., but if anyone finds another piece of wood like that, I would love to buy it.
    Seems like something I should do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

That is awesome. I would have found a way to chuck it up and hollow out the inside. Mostly because I am inherently lazy at woodworking! Thanks for posting this. Now I will be going out to look for the beaver lodges now!

John if I come across 2 good candidates I will save one for you. Might be spring before I go looking.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

bump .......