Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a Couple of Things

Didn't anyone else groan at Rick's "Slick" looking chisel pun?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    Didn't anyone else groan at Rick's "Slick" looking chisel pun?
    Well kind of, but its kind of small for a slick chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Well kind of, but its kind of small for a slick chisel.

jtk
    ...and they just keep on coming...
    PI

".....it always makes me wonder why the majority of us fight change so much. "

This made me laugh when I thought "Does he know that he is in the neanderthal section?" But then again, our group is always exploring new techniqiues and uses for using old tools, so I guess that it applies.

HAPPY NEW YEARS everyone.

Blog Entries
    ".....it always makes me wonder why the majority of us fight change so much. "
    This made me laugh when I thought "Does he know that he is in the neanderthal section?"
    It is not so much a resistance to change it is more like inertia.

Some refuse to stop working and take a few minutes to sharpen a dull blade that is slowing their work. Maybe that is just plain stubbornness.

Even in the world of Neanderthal many of us want to make our working more efficient in order to increase our output, pleasure or profits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ya know, I really miss a lot of things about the north american life style that I had to give up since moving to australia but when I see pictures like that, the wearing of gloves while working in the shop, I cringe. Now when things get really cold here I put on socks LOL. No matter what there are somethings I just wont ever miss about living in the Pacific Northwest..
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    I keep a hone and strop out on my bench when working. The time spent on the hone is often a break from a tedious task I'm working on.

I would love to have had the opportunity to learn the old ways of woodworking from a master like Harry. For that matter I would love to have had the opportunity to learn newer but proven ways of woodworking with hand tools also. I have not had a mentor for my woodworking education. I learn from books, this forum and trial and error. I value learning methods of woodworking that work well for me and my limited skill level.

I suppose all of us who are working wood with hand tools when the job could be done faster and will less skill using power tools, are resisting change to some degree. From what I read here the reasons for turning away from power tools (at least to some extent) to use hand tools, are not based in practicality as much as in the aesthetics of the process.

I can do cabinetmaking fairly well with power tools, but struggle to get quality result with hand tools. I just find that I enjoy the quiet process of producing shavings a lot more than the noisy process of producing sawdust with power tools. I also love the feel of 100 year old tools in my hands. I have no brilliant conclusions to all of this except that to each his or her own and thank goodness we woodworkers come in a great variety. From the traditionalist who makes Windsor chairs with 1700's hand tools to the CNC woodworker who can produce elegant and ornate furniture that is affordable for non-millionares. Even I produce useful things from wood while greatly enjoying the process.