Thread: top-coat laquer

top-coat laquer

I've made a small chest that my SIL wants to match her furniture...black laquer. I've since sprayed it with some rattle can black laquer and was curious if I should put a topcoat on. What are your opinions?

Thanks!!
    Sean Hughes

"Your heart is free...have the courage to follow it." Braveheart

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    A top coat of clear does 2 things. 1). Additional protection of wood by one more layer and 2). If you bump a wall or something while moving it, you wont leave any black marks - think Forensic Files
    I'm surprised that you can get a decent finish from rattle cans. Great going.

Match it up!

Take what you have now and compare it to your SIL's furniture. If you think that her furniture is clear coated once you compare then you know what to do.

thanks for the replies. It's not the best finish, but I'm rubbing it down with some white scub pads and they seem to be smoothing out the finish...if that makes sense.
    Sean Hughes

"Your heart is free...have the courage to follow it." Braveheart

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    That makes lots of sense actually. The scratch marks knock down the sheen by dispersing the light - with enough dispersal, things begin to blend. That is why most antique shops use a satin to dull finish. It hides a lot of sins.