Thread: Which hand screws do you like?

Which hand screws do you like?

What size/brand hand screws do you find most useful? My favorites.

(1) 6" Jorgensens
    (2) 8" Jogensens
    (3) 10" Wetzlers

I have various no name, Chinese types that I rarely use because they don't generate as much pressure. The 6" produce the most clamping pressure of all I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    I have various no name, Chinese types that I rarely use because they don't generate as much pressure. The 6" produce the most clamping pressure of all I own.
    All I have are no-name Chinese ones, mostly from HF. I use them quite a bit and find them to be quite useful. I've never tried a name brand. What is it about the good ones that make them clamp with more pressure? Better screw design?

Jim S.

Rockler has their 12" on sale for $5.99 each. That is a heck of a deal. They aren't the best but for 6-bucks you can't beat'm.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

I have some cheap ones and some Jorgensens. While I prefer the Jorgensens all of them are good. If I had to buy a new one I would buy a Jorgenson or one that has the features I like about the Jorgensens:
    1. the handles are grippier - conical in shape so you get a noticeable amount of additional leverage.
    2. the threads of the screw are smoother , better machined.

Ultimately, it come down to how much you use the handscrews and how much those features are worth to you.
    For all of my handscrews the wood is very good.

Alfred

All of mine are made by Dubuque Clamp Works in Iowa. I bought them from thebestthings.com but other places may sell them as well. One of the nice features is they use acme thread screws; I think some of the cheap ones use regular threads. Also the handles are somewhat conical as Alfred mentioned about the Jorgensens.

Sizes... two 14", six 12", two 8", two 6", and two 4". I used the 12" ones to glue together sections for my workbench top. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought so many. But then, is it possible to have too many clamps?
    Last edited by Andrae Covington; 01-04-2011 at 1:33 AM.

Jorgies & DuBuque for me. The sizes I seem to use more than any other are 4" and then 10". Always seem to grab them for something or another.

To those that don't have a set - get a set! Hand screws are one of those tools/clamps that once you get used to how they work, you'll be finding new things for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    …One of the nice features is they use acme thread screws; I think some of the cheap ones use regular threads.…
    I've primarily Jorgensens, but also a few cheaper "import" ones that were given to me. There is a noticeable difference between the two in fit and finish, yes, but what it really boils down to is the Jorg's are able to exert more clamping pressure. Handle design does matter -- but it has more to do with the threads, as you mention. Jorgensens (and other quality hand screw clamps) are acme thread, e.g., valley/apex both flat, which do a far better job of turning orbital motion into linear motion (read: greater possible torque).
    Sorry in advance: when I post, the thread usually dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    ... is it possible to have too many clamps?
    Probably not .

I like hand screws a lot and have found the larger sizes more useful -- broader clamping face, deeper reach, etc... I had a mix of Jorgensen and unbranded lookalikes, and they all performed well.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 01-04-2011 at 11:10 AM.