Thread: LN Tool event

LN Tool event

Who else is going to the LN Tool Event in Austin this weekend?
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

I'll be there Saturday at 10 am

I'll going to the Brooklyn event tomorrow.

I'd planned on going tomorrow, but there's supposed to be great tennis and dog park weather, so probably Saturday afternoon (20% chance of showers).

Pam

I went last year. It was during that "cold spell" right after New Years. I think in the teens in Austin. Not much warmer inside the warehouse. This year is supposed to be warmer.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    I went last year. It was during that "cold spell" right after New Years. I think in the teens in Austin. Not much warmer inside the warehouse. This year is supposed to be warmer.
    It is warmer, close to 74° right now.

Pam

Got back about 30 minutes ago.

Frank Strazza did a quick demo on sliding dovetail. Lots to drool over. I stopped to talk to Glen Drake, very nice gentleman, I tried his Gents saw which uses the same saw concept of no-kerf-small teeth-large teeth-small teeth-no kerf. It does make it easy to start and use, got the ang of it quite quickly. I almost got the saw, but no real reason to get it.

I did all the damage at the LN booth, 271 & 71, got a free DVD off it.

DOWD's tools was there but had recently seen them so only got their delicious pie.

/p

EDIT: I also tried the Boggs spokeshave, wow! maybe it is that my 151 is not tuned well, but a lot more difference between Boggs and my old 151 than between any of my stanleys and any new LN bench plane.
    Last edited by Pedro Reyes; 01-07-2011 at 3:43 PM. Reason: add comments

I went to the Austin Fine Woodworkers club preview event. I really enjoyed trying out all the planes and watching demos.

I am planning on being there around 10.
    Shawn Stennett

Kudos to all the folks that made this even happen. I went briefly Friday and then again today. It was really nice getting to see all the great tools and even better to get to try them out. I was very impressed. It's really great to see such high quality stuff that's still made in the good'ol USA.

First off I really enjoyed myself today, everything but the long drive there and back. I learned a good bit today.
    -First I learned my wife is a wonder understanding woman ( I already new this but it was re-enforced)
    -I want their thin plate Dovetail saw
    -I want their thin plate Dovetail saw
    -I really want a set of their chisels
    -I really enjoyed playing with the router plane
    -I actually like their lefthanded Bronze edge plane better than the righthanded version ( I would have bought the right hand one first)
    -The # 8 is a beast
    -I will probaly get the rabbit block plane before the shoulder plane.

Glen-Drake tools were there with a really strange looking two handled saw. They also had a interesting dovetail saw that I tried and it did cut very well. It had no teeth on the front and back of the plate about an inch and a half front and back. The teeth were fine for the first bit then got more aggressive and the back to fine. Interesting

The gentleman from Dowds tools is a very nice man and I enjoyed talking to him.

I am really looking forward to my class I am taking at the Center for Essential Education School of Woodworking. I spent alot of time at there station.

Overall I really had fun and look forward to owning a few of their tools in the future.
    Shawn Stennett