Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM3520 Owners - Shelves/storage underneath?

PM3520 Owners - Shelves/storage underneath?

Have you put the 2 x 6 shelves underneath that PM recommends in the manual? If not what other approaches have you come up with. Does the machine need counter weight there or could you build some storage in there for turning tools, chucks, etc.?

Even though it would be nice to have a bit of extra storage space, I prefer to keep the space below the lathe accessible so it is easy to remove chips. My lathe is about 24" from the wall with the operator facing the wall. That doesn't leave much room to work behind it. If I even need the ballast I will bolt the machine to the floor.
    faust

Same here. I do have a hydraulic table under my lathe (used to move it). I can raise it as a table for temporary storage of tools and chucks I'm using at the time. Pull the table out and sweep out under the lathe. I have also used the table under the lowered extension
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I used 2 x6 and scrap plywood, put a few holes in one end for tools I use on the product at hand. Put a chuck of wood on the other end along with a tool drawer. Have thought about cleaning it up and building a nicer looking one, but never have taken the time.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (102.8 KB, 133 views)

I built the shelf outlined in the manual for my 3520B and it has been fine. This lathe does not need extra weight so I made use of the storage space.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Alan:

Check out the Mustard Monster site - there are some ideas under Miscellany.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d...vision=_latest

Richard

I built a simple shelf under mine, but I don't use it for anything productive... I'm considering taking it out to make clean up easier.

I have a section of 9" wide Closet Maid shelving wedged into the base just under the bed. Very handy for the occasional tool. The lathe is bolted into a steel and concrete mobile base that creates a platform about 6" above the floor. I don't know if the 300# base is really necessary, but the concrete sure does add rigidity to the whole assembly.
    Last edited by Scott Crumpton; 01-08-2011 at 8:28 PM.

Black granite, but have also added simple 2x's and store turning blanks there now.

Mustard Mistress.jpg

I built some storage drawers underneath mine for chucks and stuff. I have already plenty of "stuff".

Alan, I originally put wire shelving under mine but I got tired of cleaning all of the wood chips up. So I built an enclosed storage unit out of a couple of cabinet doors I had. I built them at an angle so my leg wouldn't hit them when I was turning. The back is also angled so the shavings slide down the back onto the floor. Sorry I don't have a picture of the inside but it has several rows of holes for tool storage and the chucks, faceplates and tool rests lay on the bottom. There are a couple of looong gouges that don't fit inside but 90% of my turning tools are in there. I haven't had the need for any extra weight and I've rough turned some 70 or 80 pound logs.

3520B-Storage.JPG

Ron, I like the pinstripes on the shelf! Where did you get the paint and stripes to match??
    Alan

Doug, I like the notion of a angled front and it goes all the up to catch fewer shavings.
    Thanks for the photo.

Gary, very nice piece of ballast! Thanks for the photo.
    Alan

Dan, thanks for the info and the photo. I forgot the need for the mat in front. I have some that my son bought for me from Cintas and looks like I will be moving one in front of the lathe when it comes in this week!
    Alan