Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a paring chisel

I have the Blue Spruce 1" paring chisel. One nice feature is the blade's only 1/8" thick, giving it better reach in tight places.
    On the flip side, it's taking me quite a while to get back to the good steel. This is regarded as a common problem with A2 chisels.
    AKA - "The human termite"

A2 WILL decarborize about 1/32" of depth all over its surface if any air is allowed to get to it during hardening. If this has happened to your chisel,Chuck,you will never get back to "the good metal",because that 1/32" depth will have happened all over the tool.

John C: got your PM and sent another but got the same result.

I fixed that, Jonathan. My account had expired and I had to renew my donation. I didn't even realize it. The notification just came a couple of days ago on an account I don't check everyday, and then suddently, POOF, I'm not a contributor anymore. I sent you a PM. I should be good to receive again now.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You can take a thickness planer blade and make a long paring chisel out of it. The guys in the millwork Shop in Williamsburg used to do that. They seemed to take pride in who could make the longest chisel! I have used HSS planer blades myself,and they work fine. The Blue Spruce looks like it was made that way. No bolster,just jammed into a handle.
    Did you guys anneal the tangs and such when you used planer blades?
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

What operations specifically do you use paring chisels for in your work? I've ocassionally had uses for them, but not often. Just wondering what I'm missing.

I pare all the time for instrument building. I generally don't do any furniture building at the moment. I could see the limited usefulness for furniture building. For instruments, I'm constantly shaving a bit off here, or trimming a bit over there. Then I turn it over and use it bevel down to do a little carving here and there. I've just been using bench chisels mostly. Now I'm looking for some real paring chisels. The long blade is nice for this kind of work as I can anchor the hand holding the blade, and steer it through the cut with the other hand without running into the tang a couple of inches into it. It allows me to make a long, graceful cut in one motion. It also gives me more option re: where to anchor my hands. It can be remarkably hard finding someplace to anchor to on a guitar and often it's several inches away from where you need to be.

hrm - I just got home from work and measured my LMI chisels that I mentioned previously; as much as I like them, I don't know if they're really paring chisels; they have the thin, almost flexible blade, but they're only 5 inches or so in the blade, not the 7 and a half or so of my vintage marples paring chisels. So never mind my recommendation.

HSS isn't practical to anneal. It's TEMPERED at 1000º !!

Too bad you weren't at the annual antique and tool show in Richmond last weekend. There were a number of long paring chisels around. The most interesting ones were some new old stock Buck Bros. Unfortunately,they were in a so called "set" of 6 mixed chisels and LARGE gouges for about $450.00.

The chisels were very long,and thin. There was one each of a 2",a 1 1/2",and a 7/8" chisel. The striking thing about them was that they were polished (original factory finish) like chrome,yet their corners were nice and sharp,not sluffed over like 2 Cherries or Hirsch. I mean,these did not have a single grinding mark on them AT ALL!! They still had wax on them,but mostly worn off. The gouges were a 2",a 1 1/2",and one I can't remember. I wouldn't say the chisels were particularly flat on their backs. All were socket chisels.

What they were,were large sizes no one ever bought. I've seen other NOS chisels and gouges like that,too. Mint condition,never sold,too big.

There was another 2" paring chisel in very nearly new condition,also highly polished. It's back was not flat at all,and actually had a rather sharp angle to it that made it hollow about 3" from the bevel. I would not have expected to flatten it without getting it red hot,and completely having to re harden,temper,and re polish it.

A few yeas ago I got a nice Moulson 2" paring chisel there,about 1/8" thick at the bevel. Maybe thinner. It will take a great edge.

I am sure there were other paring chisels,too. I recall a 1" one. There were at least 4 sets of a dozen carving tools. 2 sets were old Marples. I can't remember what make the others were.

I bought a nice Moulson toothing plane in nearly new condition. Paid too much,probably,but easier than making one. Also got some NOS files,and a few other tools.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-09-2011 at 9:27 PM.

Now what the heck am I going to do with a 2" chisel? Maybe when I finally get around to building that log cabin I dream about! One thing we DO have in common is that special sort of insanity that allows us to get excited over a NOS file. LOL....oh what I wouldn't give for a straight file I gave up and now use a quartz slab with sandpaper on it for fret leveling. There's a gentleman that sells them on ebay. They're reasonably priced, and they're FLAT....dead flat.

For a fret file,I cut the tang off a mill file,then drill a hole at each end of the file with a masonry drill,and countersink with a larger masonry drill. Then,I screw it down to a piece of maple,and put paper shims behind the file so that it is straight when I screw it down tight.

This won't work with files with an S curve to them. I HATE plastic packaged files. Just have to buy the blasted things and HOPE for the best.

As I said,those chisels and gouges were LARGE size left overs being CALLED a set!! I do find things to do with my Moulson,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-10-2011 at 9:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    What operations specifically do you use paring chisels for in your work? I've ocassionally had uses for them, but not often. Just wondering what I'm missing.
    Dai making, guitar making, art box making, carving, general neatening up.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Maybe I'll give the Taylors a try. I too am a bit leery of the current batch of Sorby based on what I've seen first hand, and also some feedback others have given. There's nothing really awful about them but I think their steal softer than it should be.
    The Best Things has pretty competitive prices and they have both the Sorby and Taylors in stock. I'm trying the 1.5" Sorby but thought long about the 1 1/4 Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    I've been on the hunt for some of those too. I've got some crank necked pattern maker's gouges and I'd like some long paring chisels that are offset like that. Diefenbacher tools sells some Buck Bros. types on Amazon. I've got the Buck Brothers firmers from Craftsman Studios and I rather like the steel. But I think the blades on the crank necks should be longer, at least 8" like the Henry Taylors sold at Traditional Woodworker. Those are $60 - $80 apiece though.
    I've got the Bucks set but wanted to get an larger one. They're a little rough but I've spent some time on them and they sharpen up nicely. They are ground at 25 IIRC, so I had to flatten down to 20 for paring.

Well, I'm ordering a set of Taylors from TheBestThings today. We'll see how they do. The Blue Spruce look interesting but they are very expensive and have a 3-4 week lead time. I have a couple of projects coming up and I really need something I can use today. There are really very few choices when it comes to traditional patternmaker's chisels. It's like finding pig sticker mortise chisels. I'm really rather surprised that LN doesn't offer any such thing.

Does anyone know what steel the Taylors are made out of?

edit: specifically, I ordered a 1/4", 1/2" and 1" to start. I'll fill out from there with either more Taylors, maybe Blue Spruce or some home made concoction
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.