Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saga of the arrival of the Mustard Monster!

Saga of the arrival of the Mustard Monster!

I ordered a 3520 A on Wednesday one week ago today and it showed up on Monday this week! Yep, pays to be close to Tennessee.

I was promised that it would be delivered on a freight truck with a lift gate. Nope, came to the house in a regular freight tractor trailer rig! The driver opened the back rollup and there she sat at shoulder height. All 680 pounds plus another 80 pounds of bed extension and other stuff I had ordered.

After some query with the driver on why they brought it in a rig without the tail gate that was part of the deal, I decided to get that beast off the truck anyway. By the way, the driver had a bad knee and some tendency to tremble which I surmised was related to a long hard weekend of working on a bottle or two of Jack Black for the pain in that knee. I should have offered him some Advil but I was in a hurry, it was about to rain.

I went down the hill and retrieved my truck, some 2x6 timber, 4 ft. pry bar, leather gloves, and a back brace. Up the hill with that truck and backed up to the back of that freight trailer, close coupled with my tail gate in the up position. To the amazement of the driver who was watching all this, I took that pry bar and rotated that crate until it was hanging off the back of that freight trailer over the timber skids I had propped on the tailgate of my truck. Using that pry bar, I tilted the monster over the back of the freight trailer and down she slid on those timbers into the bed of my truck. By the way, the pallet was getting pretty beat up in all this prying and pushing.

Back down the hill I drove, albeit slowly, with that 680 lb. crate tilted up on the tailgate on those timbers. It took some real prying and working to get those 2x6s out from under the tilted crate and get her down into the bottom of the truck. It was quite an achievement by my lonesome. My darling wife had left that morning to go stimulate the economy and I was there alone.

Of course the bigger problem came next, how to get that baby out of the truck by myself before it rained on it. Monday a.m. and all my potential help was at work or not available. Because it was about to rain again, I decided that baby was coming out of that truck. I backed it up to my garage and opened the crate in the back of the truck. I then disassembled the thing to the smallest pieces I could and out they came. I tilted and slid pieces and parts until I got that truck unloaded and there she now lying in the garage.

After the one and half hour battle, I had enough for one day (spelled worn out!) and decided I was waiting on some help. That new lathe is still laying there because of some work commitments but she will be moving on Friday night through the garage into my workshop, be assembled, and hopefully be running in short order. I wouldn’t do it this way again. My advice is make the freight company deliver it using a lift gate as ordered and have a way to move it once it is on the ground. This machine is way too heavy to be doing something like this alone unless your way bigger and meaner than the average Joe. I lucked out this time and got it done without injuring me or the machine. By the way, I have some help coming Friday night with the promise of dinner and a good bottle of wine, after we get it moved!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 01-12-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Congrats on your new lathe! Assembly should be easy after all the work you had to get it to the garage.

Alan.....Congrats and don't injure yourself!

I'll tell you how I assembled mine by myself. The owner of Woodcraft and his wife drove it 110 miles to deliver it. He, I and 2 others using his pallet jack, put it in my shop.

I have a Little Giant ladder. ( Actually....I bought one of the bigger ones so it is Big Giant) but I put a scrap piece of header material across the top rungs while the ladder was in the "A" frame mode.....put a chain around it and used a come-along to raise one end of the bed up. I bolted on one leg set....moved the ladder and come-along to the other end and raised the other end of the bed up to bolt the leg assembly on that end.

Be careful!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well ya bought a big enough lathe, you shouldn't have to do it all again! Congrats Alan, make it home safely from your business trip, get it all together, and get that thing DIRTY!!!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Alan
    Congrats on the new one sounds like you had fun doing the truck tussle, glad you didn't get hurt.Now all you have to do is GETER DONE !!!
    Harry

At least you didn't have to get it down into your basement. I did have help for that.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Congrats on the GOLD!
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Blog Entries
    congratulations!

One tip... use a couple of those plastic sawhorses from the borg, set the bed on them and you can now rotate the bed to make putting the legs on easier. (I hate putting screws in while upside down and backwards)

Man, where were you when I had to flip mine over Brent? LOL, just goes to show, work smarter not harder! It wasn't horrible with another person, but with that idea it would have been a piece of cake.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Alan - Congrats on your new lathe! Sure looks like you had a few challenges figuring out how to get that thing off the truck! Glad you weren't hurt!

Just saw that you are in the Mobile area! My son and his family live in Irvington. I used to live in Heron Bay - back before it even had a name!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Now that's motivation, Alan! Good job and congrat's on the new lathe. Welcome to club Mustard!

Congratulations on the new lathe! On the Mustard Monster site there is a nice article about assembly with saw horses.

I'd like to offer another option for moving heavy shop equipment without help. I use a cherry picker, also known as an engine hoist or a shop crane. Depending on the boom extension, most are rated for 500 to 2000 lbs or more. They have folding legs so the storage footprint is relatively small when not in use. I bought mine at Sam's several years ago for around $150. Harbor Freight has them currently for $170. They show up on Craig's list from time to time. I used mine to pick up my crated Robust and move it into the shop and suspend it while I removed the crating, completed the assembly and moved into position. I also used it to suspend my band saw while I removed the pallet and installed casters. When I uncrated my drill press I could just barely lift the head, no way could I set it on the post alone. Again, the cherry picker to the rescue. For those who like to do really large turnings, they offer a way to mount that huge chunk of wood by yourself safely.

George

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...ane-93840.html

Congrats on the lathe and George is correct. A "cherry picker" is a very good investment. You wouldn't believe the things I have moved, lifted, loaded and unloaded with my "Cherry Picker".
    "We the People ........"

Congrats on the nice lathe! I probably would have done the same thing in that situation but sure wouldn't want to have to! I rented a cherry picker for 10$ to load into my van when I bought a used one this summer. Cheap insurance. Glad you made out ok!