Thread: What do you consider the toughest reasonable outdoor primer/paint?

What do you consider the toughest reasonable outdoor primer/paint?

I am going to build a little shed over my pool equipment. Partly to protect it from some of the elements, but mostly so I have some extra storage area for the pool chemicals and pools tools. I'm just building a very basic open structure with a roof. No walls in this case. I'm going to use 3/4" ply for the roof and a shelf. Each will be about 4'x8' and I'll shingle the roof. The support will all be pressure treated lumber. This isn't meant to be pretty because it can't be seen since it's completely covered by a giant bush. What I wanted to know is what you guys considered the best tough outdoor paint/primer for the 2 plywood pieces. It doesn't need to look smooth, pretty or otherwise have any real traits outside of being tough. Tough against water at that. The structure won't get much sun so UV isn't as important. I'd guess that a 2 part system would be the toughest, but I was hoping to stay away from that and stick more to a regular type paint/primer that I can brush/roll on.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Talk to the guys at diychatroom . com
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-16-2011 at 5:32 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum. Prohibited by TOS.

Porter Paint - Acrylic Bonding Primer

4. Sherwin Williams All-Surface Enamel. I've done sever projects using the alkyd version now and really like it. It flows very easily and dries rock hard. I used their Prep-Rite alkyd primer under it and was pleased with that too.

One thing to consider, if you paint over wood, it will expand and contract. The paint needs to stretch and no crack or you will get moisture under the paint and it will fail prematurely..joe

Go to a real paint store with the questions you posted here. If you use pressure treated wood, you might not want to use conventional exterior paint. Any paint you use will require maintenance. A real paint store, operated by professionals, is your best bet.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I'm a former Sherwin-Williams employee (store management) and if you're using pressure treated you have to let the stuff dry before priming and painting, other wise it stays dry underneath and will cause lifting of the primer and paint. Further more if it is lumber that you cannot paint all sides, before assembly water will find its way in and cause lifting. In all honesty if you came into the store where I worked I might suggest a Solid Color Exterior Stain rather than paint.