Thread: Resolved: Page layout has gone TERRIBLE

Thumbs down Resolved: Page layout has gone TERRIBLE

When the upgrade was first implemented, the physical layout of the pages did not change much. Now, however, it is very, very different. Sometimes, different is good (think Sloppy Joe with pickles), other times, it is bad. This is one of the "other times."

It used to be that the

Log Out
    Settings
    My Profile
    Notifications
    No new messagesInbox
    Welcome, John Sanford--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

links were arranged horizontally on a single line. Ditto for these

Home
    Forum

Find New
    Private Messages
    FAQ
    Calendar
    Community
    Groups
    Forum Actions
    Quick Links
    Blogs
    What's New?
    Donate
    Shop
    Friends of the Creek
    Advanced Search

Now, each one seems to have acquired a linefeed....

2/3rds of my screen is used up with what should be two header lines!!! Add in other header stuff (which is also "blessed" with an abundance of linefeeds) and I cannot even see the title of a thread when I get to the page without scrolling down. This is with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800. There may be a setting I can change to resolve this behavior, but if so, it is less than intuitively identified.

Having to scroll down just to see the threads (or pretty much anything else) gets old, real fast.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John,

I don't know what browser you are using but all of the things you describe are in a very narrow band at the top of my screen. I am not seeing anything like you are describing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

+1 to what Ken said.
    Paul

Take a look at my thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...w-Posts-Search

Curiously, it was caused by my browser's attempt to block images from advertising based websites. I've turned it off for SMC for now, but have to take some time to see which website is actually the issue. Not sure if that is your problem, but it is somewhat similar with the formatting issues.

I haven't had any issues with the page rendering correctly but, but I have noticed that the extra white space and large envelopes of the new layout, result in more scrolling than before.

Out of curiosity I performed a little comparison. When browsing full screen (1680x1050) on the SMC forum main page, I see links to almost eight forums, with Neanderthall Heaven only partially displayed. Another forum I visit, that is still using an previous version of vBulletin, shows twelve forum links. It isn't a big deal but, in general, less scrolling is certainly more convenient.
    Last edited by Todd Willhoit; 01-18-2011 at 10:03 AM.

I don't hate the new layout, but it would be nice to have an option in our profile preferences to use a 'minimalist' layout without some of the fluff. My only real issue so far is that a lot of the thread title get truncated and mouse-over only displays the beginning of the post body, not the missing thread title.

~g

The issue is a browser setting: Compatibility View. It seems to only affect SMC, not any of the other vBulletin using sites I frequent. Make sure it's not checked, and everything is back to useable.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John,

It's not the site, it seems to be a problem with your browser not rendering CSS.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    It's not the site, it seems to be a problem with your browser not rendering CSS.
    I'd beg to differ insomuch as I visit quite a few vBulletin sites and this one (and only since the upgrades) is the only one that has been giving me fits. From John's response, it seems that he also has no issues with other vBulletin sites.

vBulletin version 4 moved to an all new CSS-based layout. So, other vbulletin sites are the only basis for comparison. Nonetheless, it's still the browser, or malware, or a popup blocker, or something not on the server side interfering with the page rendering.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator