Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection

The HF DC is 110V.

Linda, where you located? I have a HF DC with cyclone seperator lid, upgraded filter bag, and shop fox remote start I will sell. I am in Western Wi, just east of St. Paul Mn, if your in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by todd bourassa View Post
    Linda, where you located? I have a HF DC with cyclone seperator lid, upgraded filter bag, and shop fox remote start I will sell. I am in Western Wi, just east of St. Paul Mn, if your in this area.
    I hope that isn't the recalled Shop Fox remote...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Nope its not!

I have the Jet DC1100A .. and honestly I wish I researched more because I paid too much. The Harbor Freight dust collector is nearly identical (slightly stronger motor on the harbor freight one, but one could argue that the motor is of lesser quality I don't know) at 1/3rd the price. If I had to buy a new one, I'd buy the one from Harbor Freight and use the extra money to buy a cyclone seperator attachment on Ebay.

-jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Miller View Post
    I just bought a thickness planer and realised that I need a dust collector to use it properly. It's not in the budget and so really want to get one at a reasonable price. Is there a CFM minimum that I should consider? Any brand better than another? My local CL has a Jet 3/4hp dust collector. 650 cfm, 120v 4" Dia. hose listed for $125 obo. This sounds small, but maybe it is ok??? Any thoughts or advice?
    I don't have a dust colection system. Well I have a leaf blower and a broom but my old Delta (I believe 540) thickness planner keeps going and I have not had a problem with needing a dust collection for it.

When I hit the lotto I'm going to istall one that will capture a sneeze, exchange fress air for stale and make the world a greener palce.

Blog Entries
    The HF DC is 110V.
    So how many amps does that HF 2 hp 110 volt DC pull? My most efficient motor draws 8 amps per hp at 115 volts, my new 2 hp Oneida with the Baldor motor draws 23 amps at 115 volts (yes I have it wired for 230 volts). Probably not as efficient as my "3 hp" Shop Vac which only draws 7 amps, he said sarcastically. If I read this thread correctly the maximum steady load you can draw on a dedicated 20 amp circuit is 16 amps. Whether you need 12 or 10 awg wire seems to be up for debate. I vote for 12 awg personally.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-26-2011 at 12:20 AM.

I'm in northern Indiana, near South Bend.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    So how many amps does that HF 2 hp 110 volt DC pull? My most efficient motor draws 8 amps per hp at 115 volts, my new 2 hp Oneida with the Baldor motor draws 23 amps at 115 volts (yes I have it wired for 230 volts). Probably not as efficient as my "3 hp" Shop Vac which only draws 7 amps, he said sarcastically. If I read this thread correctly the maximum steady load you can draw on a dedicated 20 amp circuit is 16 amps. Whether you need 12 or 10 awg wire seems to be up for debate. I vote for 12 awg personally.
    you bring up a good point which is the HF is an exagerated spec unit with a motor out put more like a 1.5 hp and impeller size more comparable to other 1HP-1.5HP DC's on the market. It is an OK deal if gotten at it's rock bottom discounted price. The mistake often made is it isn't even close to the performance of the more recent 2HP models on the market. My alleged "2HP" HF ran easily off a 20 amp circuit that my older 2HP Grizzly will not even start on. I only ran my 2HP Jet 1200C on a 220v-20amp circuit but it's a monster in suction compared to my HF.
    If you were comparing an older 1.5 HP Jet 1100 to the "2HP" HF the Jet may not give much better performance than a discounted HF and the HF would save you some money. If you are comparing the "2HP" HF to any other recent leading brand 2HP DC it is unlikely you are even in the same ballpark of performance. Do your research and choose wisely.

And Todd brings up good points.

The labels are cute.

A fan curve ... showing CFM at a given static pressure ... would tell me what I want to know.

But I won't hold my breath (or static pressure would result )