Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my first attempt at a Krenov inspired cabinet

I like the way the these shots look.

You did a great job selecting and orienting the figure in the door John.

Jim B

thanks Jim.

Blog Entries
    Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the finished project. You definitely nailed the Krenov style. Great material too. I've never worked spalted Maple before. How is it to work?

Ehhhh... honestly. I sand papered that door to death. I tried it with the new LN 5 1/2 on a cut off of that same board. That piece in particular has so many grain changes and directions with that big curl in the middle.... I didnt want to risk having to thin it out on my buddy's drum sander because of tear out.

The other board I have that is spalted is a lot less figured, and it planes up really nice. I can tell you though, alot of people say they dont use the High Angle Frogs for their LN planes, and I have read about honing the blade with a steep back bevel, but to me, I think the HAF seems like a sound investment after working a board like this.

All that is left is the ball catch and a thinned out coat of Shellac.... And I got to figure out a way to hang it. I didnt leave enough depth in the back for too much of anything. I am hoping those monarch Z clips will work.. I am waiting on a sample clip to come from them now. They are supposed to be really thin....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    Ehhhh... honestly. I sand papered that door to death. I tried it with the new LN 5 1/2 on a cut off of that same board. That piece in particular has so many grain changes and directions with that big curl in the middle.... I didnt want to risk having to thin it out on my buddy's drum sander because of tear out.
    I had similar challenges with the curly maple I used on my media cabinet. I too was smoothing it with a LN 5 1/2 and found that the best way to get the thing smooth was to plane across grain and then come back with a card scraper and scrape the whole thing. The scraper changes the patina a bit, so I scraped the entire stock. It solved my tear out problem though. I've read the same opinions about the high angled frogs and am closer to making a change after my last project. But.... the card scraper worked great to clean things up, so maybe I'll stay with the angle I have on my irons.

I picked up a two cherries card scraper from savannah toolhouse a while back.... I need a burnisher to get it going right... but that is one avenue I have not really went down yet. Quite honestly, I am having to much fun with the planes right now... between the 5 1/2 and the DX60 that just showed up... I have plenty to practice at for now.

so... it is officially done. I just dont have the hangers for it, but the catch is in...its been sanded after two coats of shellac, then waxed.

John, This is outstanding work. You did a really nice job and paid attention to the details. I was not originally overly excited about the exposed dovetails, but in the end they look good and don't detract from the overall piece. Great work.

Blog Entries
    It's coming along great John. Thanks for the progress picks.

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

I'll be blunt...good post! Good project. Nice result.
    Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Thats a good looking cabinet. That spalted wood is beautiful. I just got some spalted pecan that I have not decided what to do with. I really enjoy the look of your half blind dovetails. I have not cut any half blinds yet. I use a jig though. I have not learned how to do it by hand yet.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. The one thing I would certainly do different next time is to thin the shellac out a little more. The pics make it look more glossy than it is, but I would imagine that the originals didn't carry this much shine ...

I have learned so much from building a simple project as this... it really isn't all that simple !

I will do another some time... the wood has to fit the piece though... and that may take some hunting.

up next, a mahogany blanket chest for a good friend. Look for a thread in about a month for the start of it.