Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
I have been working with it for almost 30 years and I haven't heard of any way to prevent it from turning brown. From what I understand, PH, Padouk and many other species do not keep their original colors for more than a few years. It is caused by oxidation and UV rays. The oxidation can be slowed down by applying a good hard finish and the UV can be slowed down by applying a good exterior varnish or a 2K Urethane (I haven't tried the 2K urethane on PH yet). A lot has to do with light exposure in the room the PH will be located in.
I noticed that generally, PH and Padouk will keep their color for about a year or so and then darken gradually. I quit using PH mainly for that reason plus a few others. It turns to what I consider an unattractive brown color. Padouk, on the other hand, turns to a rich brown with red highlights which is still quite attractive.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help and I know this ain't what you wanted to hear.
Sorry? For what? That's a great post. You gave more information in one paragraph than most will ever hear and could save folks a lot of grief. I like it.