Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turners buying turnings:

Turners buying turnings:

Do you as a turner collect, buy or otherwise covet other turners work? I find that I sometimes see a piece that really appeals to me and would like to have it in my collection. Just curious if other turners feel the same way?

I'm glad you brought this up, Gary. I don't have a collection, but I would like to begin. I enjoy sending pieces to others, and I've often thought that it might be fun to have forum swap. It could be an annual event, and we could figure out a way to make it a fund raiser for SMC. Just a thought...

Blog Entries
    I have my eye on a piece by a well known Artist.

I have a few of this persons DVD's even and would like to have one of their turnings.

The one I want is about $450.00 though. I Almost pulled the trigger on it and I still may.

I can buy other works of theirs for alot less some pieces as low as $39.00 but I really LIKE the one I have my eye on.

But it is an Investment if I buy it.

Still thinking on it, but I would sure Love to have it.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I second the vote for a swap.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    I have my eye on a piece by a well known Artist.

I have a few of this persons DVD's even and would like to have one of their turnings.

The one I want is about $450.00 though. I Almost pulled the trigger on it and I still may.

I can buy other works of theirs for alot less some pieces as low as $39.00 but I really LIKE the one I have my eye on.

But it is an Investment if I buy it.

Still thinking on it, but I would sure Love to have it.
    Scott,
    I didn't think I was that well known but if you are going to pay me $450 for my bowl, I'd gladly accept it.

Oh, wait a second.....You're not talking about me, are you?

Anyway, I think a swap would be kind of fun. Maybe something similar to the pen exchange last summer....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Over on another forum they swapped pens and IIRC they devided themselves into beginner and expert or something like that. I don't know if it would be fair to one of you artists to get a little bowl from me and you send me something really nice.
    David

There are a couple of the well known turners that have produced items that I really like. Like well enough to possibly purchase one, but the prices they command (and get) are way more than what I would spend on a piece from another turner. Not that I dont think (some of them) are worth the money, but more that I know I would be getting it just to study it for learning / copying. I think the admiration would die off once I was able to replicate the form.

But a trade of some sorts would be cool.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Tennant Creek , Northern Territory, Australia.
    This is a great idea, but if overseas members join in the postage to US of A is expensive.

I would buy others if I was financially able to do so. Recently I saw a set of 3 lidded bowls on WOW and I knew exactly where i would put them in my own house! The pieces showed great skill in areas I have little, such as pyro & piercing. Why not support others, if one can?

I love and enjoy art. I'm certain I could never duplicate the results of some of the incredible talent and experience I see posted here no matter how many tools I buy or years I spend doing the same craft. Art is such an individual expression. So, yes, I would purchase others' work.
    Last edited by Jack Camillo; 02-06-2011 at 7:25 AM.

At Christmas our turning club exchange gifts raffle style: Each person brings a wrapped, anonymous gift and gets a ticket, when your number is drawn you pick a gift. We, also raffle the turnings made by demonstrators at our meetings. These are usually unfinished piecies, but are made by some well known and popular turners. I have nine pieces in my collection accumulated so far.

Our club does a Christmas exchange based as the same premise used at the WOW Exchanges. Bring a piece and get a ticket then two tickets are picked and those two exchange gifts. The WOW Exchange happens at a lot of events like the AAW Symposium and coming up next month there will be one at Totally Turning in Saratoga Springs. I also have been known to buy a piece here and there.
    Bill

I like the idea of some sort of swap or exchange. I just don't kbow how easy the logistice might be. And there are a lot of turnings I have seen on the site and in person at shows that interest me enough to buy them. However, on a list of reasons to buy theses treasured items, "investment" would be very low. I am a numismatist, with an extensive collection of quality US coins, mostly silver and gold. The fact that they increase in value is more of a bonus to me... it is more the beauty, artwork, history and opportunity to view them any time that motivates me. I am mostly a utility turner and just love many of the turned pieces this group has shown, and many I would buy and probably use. Do we get 15% off ??

I belong Knappers-R-Us, a flintknapping club, and each year we have a gift exchange, called "The Silica Santa Exchange". Supposedly we have over 1000 members, but usually only about 50 people participate. The moderator puts the list online, someone chooses a number from 1 - 10, and where your name is on the list, count down the chosen number from your name, and that is the person you will send a gift to. Count up that number, and that's the person who will send you something. Mod rules states to not send over $25 in value, but it's impossible to send rock in a flat rate medium box that averages 25 pounds.. Some of the premium rock we use could have a $20 a pound value, or in the case of slabs, $5 per inch, or maybe the tools someone will add to the box brings the value way up past the restriction. Even a particular knapper participating might be well known and gets big bucks for his points, and if you're lucky enough to have him as your Santa, you're in luck. The best thing about the exchange is, it's all voluntary. We all appreciate what we get because the all the rock in the packages are from locations other than ours, and I for one, live in a rock poor area....
    I have a fairly large collection of OPP's (other peoples points), and would love to have a collection of OPT's (other peoples turnings), but from what I've seen here at SMC is most turners posting their turnings consider themselve artists, and I'm guessing their stuff is sold as they complete it. The other people that ask techinal questions are usually new, and would likely be the best source for getting turnings for a collection..... Anyone want to trade???????
    As far as the international exchange, a flat rate box is limited to 20 pounds. The cost to England was $34 two years ago. The only requirement was a customs declaration of the value and the contents.. Now, from what a rock supplier from Poland states is he can send all the rock he mines to the US, even with dirt on it, but it can't be in wooden crates... Must be metal.... I haven't sent any wood anywhere outside the US, but it might not be possible..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry, I'm happy to being your collection of OPT as part of the little deal we arranged, but I think it would make a great annual event.

Shipping wood overseas is fine, but bark is not allowed. I've sent wood to Australia on several occasions and recieved in kind... No troubles. The shipping is not cheap, but ~$40 will get you a pretty good sized box anywhere in the world coming from the US. The elsewhere to US shipping varies but is generally weight based in my limited experience... Finished turnings could be pretty affordable in that regard.

Any thoughts from our mods on the feasibility of an exchange perhaps to benefit the forum?

Gary, if you ever see anything I've turned that tickles your fancy, shoot me a PM, and we'll figure something out.