Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Crib For My New Daughter

That's a great pic. CONGRATULATIONS on the new daughter. What's that little cocoon thing in the middle, though?? ha. Wow... if only we could all just have 10 minutes a day with that level of contentment, huh? Just think of all the fun you're going to have in 2027... teaching her to drive a stick while she rips up your transmission, getting the "you're the worst dad EVER... I HATE YOU" call while you're in a meeting with your boss, throwing her inappropriately-older boyfriend through the storm door... ahhhhh, good times ahead. Just wait until your first argument with your wife over chores or work or how tired you are... and she, for the first time screams, "I went through hours of labor IN A CAR having YOOOOOOUR child, and you want to complain to me about THAT?" Yeah... that's always a good day.

I showed my wife your pic and she did the "Awwwwwww...." thing. Meanwhile, I'm acting like a typical guy... "Yeahyeahyeah... cute kid... now, get out of the way so I can ask this question."

So... on to the important stuff (just kidding... come on, now). I saw your jig for cutting the mortises and have a couple questions. I see the boards are separated. Is that for stability of the router base? Also, I can discern your stops from the jig, but how did you keep the mortise centered on and parallel to the board? I don't see in the picture how you did that. Also, did you have a jig for spacing or just put down accurate measurement marks?

Seriously... that is excellent work. You did good with the kid thing, too. CONGRATS again.

Congrats Trever! She's adorable, especially in her crib!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Simply beautiful!

Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post
    So... on to the important stuff (just kidding... come on, now). I saw your jig for cutting the mortises and have a couple questions. I see the boards are separated. Is that for stability of the router base? Also, I can discern your stops from the jig, but how did you keep the mortise centered on and parallel to the board? I don't see in the picture how you did that. Also, did you have a jig for spacing or just put down accurate measurement marks?
    Tom,

I used a shop built base similar to this one to center the mortises:
    You set it down so that the two pegs straddle the board and apply a little twisting pressure and it automatically centers the bit. I seperated the boards so there would be room for the pegs in between. And I just used pencil marks for the spacing.
    "The key to patience is doing something else."