Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vases with Pyrography

Very nice! Always good to stretch out of the comfort zone.

Nice work Bernie. It does appear that you have found another niche for your gallery work. Wish I had the steadiness in my hands to try some of these things.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Way to go Bernie. You are coming along with the burner for sure. The work looks awfully good.

Looks like your getting the hang of it! I am not super fond of the colorized versions, but that natural one is really nice.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks to all. It has been fun. I do like the just burnt cardinal best but I did the roses in memory of my mother who loved them and had, well I couldn't count how many she grew. By the way these have already been bought by my 2 sisters. The practice burnings I couldn't believe it but when I took them down to the Gallery where my turnings are displayed the director wants me to drill a shallow hole in the back bottom of the practice pieces so they will stand kinda like a picture. While in there she sold the one orange butterfly, the cardinal and the blue jay for $30 each. I about fell over. So tonight I drilled and glued dowels so they stand up and will deliver them on Monday. I showed her the bowls before they go to my sisters. She wants 3 with the red roses and 2 with the yellow rose to display and sell along with 3 burned cardinals and 3 burned blue jays with no color.

Steve retirement is going well. Just don't know how I had time for a full time job all those years. Been fun traveling now that the grandson is close. I think we have been down there every month since they got there but grandpa does like fishing with the boy.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-12-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie---The pieces are lovely. Not sure what brand of colored pencils you have, but many are not lightfast, especially reds and greens, so best to check this out before too many go out the door. You might have to contact the manufacturer and ask what the permanence rating is for the colors you are using.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Bernie, very, very nice. Would you mind reviewing which pens you used to do what on the various figures? Also, a little more info on the coloring pens you used would be nice. Thabnks a lot. Charlie

Thanks again. Dan and Charles the oil pencils I use are Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Premium Oil Based Colored Pencils. According to them, "They're easily blended and overlayed for limitless hues and formulated with the highest standards of lightfastness." The regular colored pencils I got are Caran d'Ache Pablo colored pencils. They say use them on paper, wood, or photographs. They offer creamy, soft, water-resistant 3.7 mm leads. Pablo pencils have exceptional covering power, and superb lightfastness. I did a lot of research Dan and ask a lot of questions on forums like Wet Canvas. These were recommended by a lot of people. I also use a Copic Sketch Marker which is permanent ink. They have a chisel tip and brush tip. I have some ornaments that I used this ink on that are 3 or 4 yrs old and no fadding what so ever. Charles hope this helps.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

wow, Bernie..you sure are stepping it up a naotch..i think woodburning is a hidden talent you've finally realized you have! Wonderful..keep at it & share more with us

Well done on all counts, Bernie. And congrats on the sales.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

These are really great!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Bernie, It looks like you are having fun with the wood burning and like already said it will add a lot of variables to your work! I have a couple of burning units I am in the process of building that will let me get into pyro work too. I am working on the pens and how I want them to fit my hands and if they will be fixed or removable tipped.

More inspiration and great job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thank you all again. Jeff I was advised that the fixed tip were the best. No chance of them getting loose with all the removing and inserting. Besides it took me about a week to figure out I only need 3 tips to do 98% of the burning I do.
    Bernie

Bernie, thanks for the info on the pens. Also wonder which three woodburning tips do you recommend? Thanks Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bernie, I think you have found your new niche! Very nice, and while I like the colors, the cardinal is the pic. Besides, it is the KY state bird!!
    And it is the Indiana state bird! All the pyrography is great I like the color versions, but my favorite is also the cardinal.