Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A birdhouse on Henry Lauder's walking stick

Too much Curt! Methinks you have a thing for birds.... you build excellent looking abodes for them! Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch the ol envelope... Keem em coming!
    mj

What a delightful piece of work! It makes me think of that nursery rhyme about the crooked man who lived in a little crooked house. I'm smiling!
    David DeCristoforo

Okay am I the only one that sees a dog sitting at the base?? Really cool!
    "We the People ........"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Okay am I the only one that sees a dog sitting at the base?? Really cool!
    Looks like a gorilla to me...

WOW the "offset" spindle work is astounding. it really makes this birdhouse SING! What a challenge. Great piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I don't know who Henry Lauder is (or was) but I have a bush in my yard called "Henry Lauder's Walking Stick" and the limbs are all twisted and contorted. These multiple axis spindles remind me of them. The birdhouse is Maple, the stick and finial are Padauk. The spindle work was done between centers, changing the axis every so often. It's kind of nerve wracking and I broke two before I got one as long as I wanted. It's about 15" tall to the tip.
    Attachment 182551
    Harry Lauder was an entertainer in the 1920's - 1940s. He was Scots and used to appear on stage with a walking stick that was twisted in just about every direction. "Harry Lauder Walkering Stick" is a varity of hawthorn.

Another vote for Gorilla....Very nice, Curt.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I don't know who Henry Lauder is (or was) but I have a bush in my yard called "Henry Lauder's Walking Stick" and the limbs are all twisted and contorted.

Attachment 182551
    This tree is also called Contorted Filbert & Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. Sir Harry Lauder (1870-1950) was a Scot & a leading music hall entertainer who sang lovely ballads & told jokes on himself. He was greatly beloved in his day, & was knighted by King George V for service to the country in the first World War, wherein his only son was killed.

American soldiers were entertained by Lauder during the war & afterward he toured America where he gained a considerable following. He was briefly a film star in the early 1930s. Yet he's not well remembered now, & the tree baring his name is increasingly just called Corkscrew Hazel, though more than an occasional home owner has been known to give their corkscrew the pet name Harry.

His signature song "Roamin' in the Gloamin'" is still well known, though many mistake it for a folk tune when in fact Sir Harry wrote it. The lasting image of the tight-fisted Scot with a twisted walking cane — originated by Lauder & imitated by many a stage & film comedian, including Danny Kaye — has outlasted Lauder's international fame, to the annoyance of some Scots who've wearied of the stereotype. You can read more about the tree here.

Definately a dog.

And definately the coolest birdhouse I have seen. Thank you for sharing. I find many birdhouses too ornate, but the offset turning brings this one right back to nature. I love it.