Thread: I want/need to carve some spoons.....

I want/need to carve some spoons.....

I'm not a wood carver but from what the LOML & LOML Jr want, I need to be able to carve spoons and ladles out of wood for them. Keep in mind that I'll have to buy whatever carving tool you say I will need, so please keep that in mind as well. I do have a Dremel but that's about it.

Whatcha say???
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm sure you must have seen all the specialty spoon carving tools out there. Considering what I know about your WWing inclinations it may not be financially feasible to buy specialty carving tools for spoons and ladles, 'cause you'll have to make a boat load of those to justify the expense. Then again it is the perfect activity to do while you lounge in your Adirondack chairs int he backyard.
    There must be some creative way to carve spoons and ladles using a combination of router and Dremel, perhaps some imaginative jigs. I have no idea how to do this, I am sure more experienced carves will chime in soon.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

You don't need much. A bandsaw to cut out the blank is nice, but most any sort of handsaw can be used too. As for the actual carving, a whittling knife of some sort - a plain ol' jack knife would work fine - and a small gouge for the inside - it could be any number of diameters and sweeps, they'll all get it done pretty much. In short, nothing very speciual is required.

That's a very nice tidy spoon, sean. Did you carve it from green stock or dried stock?

Thanks, David. This one was from a square bowl blank that cracked as it dried (even with Anchor Seal), so I cut it up into utensil blanks. In short, the wood was likelt 90% dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    You don't need much. A bandsaw to cut out the blank is nice, but most any sort of handsaw can be used too. As for the actual carving, a whittling knife of some sort - a plain ol' jack knife would work fine - and a small gouge for the inside - it could be any number of diameters and sweeps, they'll all get it done pretty much. In short, nothing very speciual is required.

I disagree with the last sentence.. I'd say a lot of skill and experience went into making those. Those look really nice.

Dennis

You may not be a Carver but I know you are a turner. Tim Kennedy of the Indianapolis Woodturners does a spatulla that might get you out of trouble with the women in your life. Tim says he learned it from Raffan. Here is a link to Tim's instructions on his website.

http://www.timsturnery.com/pdf/TurningSpatulas.pdf

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Hi Dennis,
    I've ventured into spoon carving recently myself. I've been using one of these curved knives this guy makes http://www.pinewoodforge.com/ for the bowl of the spoon. I've just used a regular straight knife for the rest. And quite a bit of sandpaper.

Dennis,

I turned these for our 2010 Art Challenge. Bandsawed the rough blank, mounted off-center on the lathe and hollowed out the bowl portion using a 2" sanding disk with various grits of paper.

Here is a link to the contest in case you would like to see a larger photo: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Steve-Schlumpf
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like the curved knives from deepwoods also. I like to use poplar for spoons, because it is easy to carve. I bandsaw the blank out and use knives and drum sanders to shape the outside of the bowl and the handle. I use the hook knife to scoop out the inside and then sand it smooth. Unless you love hand-sanding, attach a wooden ball to a mandrel for your dremel and then cut sandpaper to fit around it, like they do with some of the Guinevere inflatable sanders. It goes quick enough with the right tools, that carving spoons becomes fun.

I rough out the spoon using a biscuit cutter.

The deepest cuts (in the center )are made at the deepest setting.

The next cut or two at the middle setting, etc.

I use a curved gouge to clean up the rest.

Scrape and sand until my fingers are bloody stubs.

Bill

The spoon bug bit me last September completely out of the blue. Got the crook and straight knives from Del at Pinewood Forge as well as some starter blanks in basswood and birch.
    I already had a couple of hard maple blanks I'd cut from some scrap I had around. (tad too narrow)
    Got 10 done for Christmas gifts before breaking my wrist the evening before Thanksgiving.
    Haven't gotten back to it as the wrist still doesn't do everything it needs to be able to do without massive pain :P
    Have got some beautiful cherry, maple and sycamore I'm really looking forward to getting further on.
    The test blanks in paduak and purpleheart I don't see getting far on as they're hard as rock and the paduak tears out no matter what direction I'm working.
    Reminds me, I need to get some pictures of the last 2 I finished carving decoratively the night before they were given. Was a trick doing it with a cast on

I use a Frost's curved spoon knife from Ragweed Forge at $17 plus $6 shipping per order. I usually get a couple other knives when I order since the shipping is a flat fee.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

http://www.ragweedforge.com/164.jpg