Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receptacle locations... garage project.

Receptacle locations... garage project.

I'm adding a sub-panel to my garage/shop in order to wire up some 220 for the new 513X2 that I'm waiting on. While, I'm at it, I'm going to re-wire my Delta contractor saw for 220 and add an outlet for it, and probably also some extra outlets for other equipment to be added within the year. I've got some help from an electrician friend who's going to make sure all my wiring is safe and up to standards, but I think my fellow Creekers will be better in providing direction on ideas for set-up, where to put things, and such. So here goes...

JOB PARAMETERS
    It's a one-car garage, I have 11' x 19' of actual usable space. For several reasons I'm strapping everything to the wall surface. First, the entire garage is rocked and the time and expense of stripping and re-rocking walls just isn't happening right now. Also, if we end up moving but keeping this house as rental someday (very likely), all the extra electrical is getting pulled out and moved. I want to keep my investment with me and I'm not likely to want the extra power available to renters. Finally I should add, I'm on a slab, floor routing is a no go too. so here goes...

I'm struggling with whether to mount receptacles closer to the ground or higher up. I've read some articles suggesting that you want to consider mounting higher than 48" so they don't get hidden behind sheet goods you might lean against the wall. On the other hand, I like the thought of keeping the 220v receptacles down low so that the cords more likely to stay on the ground the further the tool may get from the wall. What's your experience/preference?

Right now I anticipate putting in 4-220v outlets in; essentially one near each corner. Is that overkill? What do you think? Keep in mind that all major equipment will be on casters, 17" bandsaw, table saw, DC, future jointer or planer, etc.

I'm also adding some fluorescent lighting. Although, for the time being all four lamps can plug into the same circuit that the garage door opener is on (it's so rarely used. Is there any reason to move that lighting to the sub-panel and a separate circuit, or should I just leave it where it is?

Finally, is there any reason, in your experience, I should need a box with more than 12 breaker spaces for a shop this size?

Please, feel free to share whatever wisdom and experience you have that I'm lacking. This is the first time I've been able to develop a proper shop space of my own (albeit very small). I want it done right (especially because it's small), I need to be hyper organized to maximize my space and keep my work flow effective and at least somewhat efficient.

I'll let others address the # of Breakers, ckts & lights, but I've installed ALL my outlets at 54" above the floor. It puts them above most things that might be leaned or pushed up against a wall. At that height, they are above any bench that I might have against the wall which gives good access to use drills, sanders etc on the bench, yet they are still below any top mounted wall cabinets I may hang above a bench. Finally, it saves this old codger from having to bend over and try to focus my trifocals while reaching behind something to plug in or unplug a cord. I will say you must remember that 220V ckt brkrs take up TWO slots in the panel for each ckt, and I would leave the current ceiling light on the house ckt and add another ckt for the new lights just for safety's sake should one brkr trip while you're working.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

+1 on putting the outlets high. I have the underside of each surface mounted electrical box at 50", and it's worked out well. Think about unplugging the table saw whenever you swap out the blade, do you really want to reach down behind a stack of boxes/ sheet goods/ rough cut lumber? And you can't really put in too many outlets. For standard 20A outlets (both 120 and 240), the material cost is pretty low. Things don't run into money unless you're putting in a bunch of L6-30R receptacles. Of course, with conduit, you can easily add outlets as you need them, so this might be more of a personality thing. Are you the type of person who will whip out the wire strippers the first time you think "Gee I need an outlet", or are you the kind of person who will keep using extension cords and "get to it next week"? If the latter, then go all out now

I don't see any reason to move the lights to the sub panel. In fact, having them on the existing house panel is preferable because if you overload the sub panel, you won't be in the dark with a spinning saw blade in front of you. If you add any more lights, you can always put those on the sub panel.

12 breakers spots should be sufficient for a one car garage. Remember that you can put multiple 240V outlets on a single circuit, since you'll run one tool at a time (other than the dust collector and maybe the compressor).

4. I would only put 220V outlets in where you know you are going to need them. Then put a dedicated line to any 110V outlets that you think you might want to convert to 220V at a later time. Converting them will just require replacing the breaker and the outlet. You can use the same wire as long as both are at the same current rating (most likely 20A). Just make sure you leave an adjacent breaker slot open for the upgrade and don't cut the neutral wire too short at the panel.

As others have said, I would leave the lights on the house circuit.

12 slots doesn't sound like very many considering you are considering 4 220V circuits. Assuming those are dedicated to a single outlet, that used up 8 slots right there. A few bucks now will save lots of frustration down the road.

Never enough breakers!

Or take the inexpensive, flexible approach and run one 20A multi-wire branch circuit to a few 4 inch square boxes containg a 6-20R and a 5-20R receptacle.

Gives you a 20A 240 circuit at every box and 2 X 120V 20A circuits in every box with one 2 pole breaker and one piece of 12/3 wire.

Of course you'll need a separate circuit for your dust collector.............Rod.

Rod, I like that idea. How good/bad of an idea would it be to to do a few boxes like that on one circuit (2 pole) circuit?

My outlets are all high. Mount one on each side of the garage door.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

On the other hand, I like the thought of keeping the 220v receptacles down low so that the cords more likely to stay on the ground the further the tool may get from the wall.
    I agree about keeping your outlets high. Better to put longer cords on your equipment that to worry about the cords being to high off of the floor because of outlet location.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Thank you all for taking a moment to respond. It would appear that the placing the receptacles up higher is the prevailing wisdom. Looks like I'm gonna be purchasing some longer cordage soon! And, I think the lights are staying on the main panel for now. As for breaker spaces, rather than have a dedicated circuit for each of the four outlets, I think initially I'll put two outlets on each circuit per Bas's suggestion. I generally work alone, so besides having a small dust collector on a dedicated circuit, It's very unlikely I'll ever have two major machines running at once.

Rod, in terms of flexibility, that sounds like a pretty darn good idea. That's exactly the type of idea that I was talking about in terms of "wisdom I lack". I simply don't know enough about wiring yet that it would have occurred to me. I'll have my buddy talk me through how to do that.

Finally, Myk, there'll definitely be one on each side of garage door. But most importantly I WON'T ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. I mean, enough said, right?!

I'll be sure to post pics some day when I've got this garage licked. I'm looking forward to having real power!

It's an excellent way to wire your shop.

Aside from lighting and a 15A 240V feeder for my cyclone, the multi-wire branch circuit is the only machine and general receptacle circuit in my shop........Regards, Rod.

Ahh the fun of planning all this stuff. And then there is "the code" and the inspector. Here in VA as of 3/1/2011 the latest version of the state building code kicks is along with the 2008 revision to the electrical code.
    I've been reading the 2008 code (does my head hurt?) and I came across a couple of interesting things. The 2008 code requires Arc Fault Circuit Interupters on just about everything. The 2005 code only bedrooms. Localities may take exception and locally they have and are sticking with the 2005 rule but who heard of Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters among us? GFCI has been around awhile. One thing I did get from the codes guy is that if you have a dedicated outlet for say a freezer or water softener, those do not need a GFCI. My garage originally got wired up so everything and I mean EVERYTHING was put on a single GFCI Circuit. Door Opener, garage lights, outside lights, outside receptacles, freezer. I finally ran a new line in conduit to all the stuff that couldn't stand being at the mercy of a soft GFCI that pops in a good rainstorm.

Blog Entries
    I've just spent the day adding a bit more power to my garage. 4 additional 4' cheapy shop lights (T-8 and 0 degree ballasts). Added one 220 outlet (already had put in one). Added two pair of dupex outlets on one wall. I ran 12-3 romex to them and split the outlets so that the 4 tops and the 4 bottoms are on separate 20amp breakers. That way the TS and the DC can both run from one outlet, but on separate circuits. All are 48" from floor at the bottom of the box. So sheet goods would fit beneath. My planer will go to the new 220, my RAS is on the other one. Air compressor on the single original outlet hidden in corner...
    Spent $210 total.... 4- lights and box of bulbs, 2- 220breakers, 2 singles, 50' 12-3 wire(ouch!) box of cheap outlets and a bunch of plastic boxes and covers.
    All well worth it and should provide my garage with plenty of power and enough light. If this was the permanent shop, I'd have double all of it.

Mount the outlets high and put in a lot of them - they're cheap if you're doing them yourself. Use double boxes and put two duplex outlets in each box. Run your wire so that adjacent boxes are on separate circuit breakers. Of course, all the 115V stuff should be on GFCI.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Or take the inexpensive, flexible approach and run one 20A multi-wire branch circuit to a few 4 inch square boxes containg a 6-20R and a 5-20R receptacle.

Gives you a 20A 240 circuit at every box and 2 X 120V 20A circuits in every box with one 2 pole breaker and one piece of 12/3 wire.

Of course you'll need a separate circuit for your dust collector.............Rod.
    Rod - how do you put GFCI on that multi wire circuit? Seems you'd need a GFCI unit in each box.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.