Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary Southwestern Style Vase

Smile Contemporary Southwestern Style Vase

Maple, 6” diameter x 5” high x 1/8” thick. Dyed with a few different colors of RIT dye and finished with gloss wipe-on poly. Hard to see in the photos but there are a number of large eyes across the top of the form.

SW Vase v1.jpg SW Vase v2.JPG SW Vase v3.JPG SW Vase v4.JPG SW Vase v5.JPG SW Vase v6.JPG SW Vase v7.JPG

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

2. This is pretty Steve. Great color and finish on this. This southwestern form does not conform to the oft cited 2/3rds rule with the shoulder a little bit down from that , or maybe it is an optical illusion with the long neck making the shoulder seem lower than it really is.

This is very nice, as are all the works I have seen from you.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Another beautiful piece as always Steve. The coloring seems to really set it off.

Steve, the color choice and the "fade" to the top seem to have worked!! The third pic really is a nice shot of this piece. Well done!! I like the form - very much, and it is all the more enhanced with the addition of the color. This will be a very nice addition to the gallery!

Wonderfully done Steve. I love the simple flowing forms you make.

The finish is fantastic, but I'm not crazy about the form or the color. I appreciate your willingness to try different forms, but this one misses the mark for me. As always, I'm looking forward to your next piece.

Very nicely done Steve, love the colors with the flowing grain and if you faded from darker to lighter you did a fantastic job. I'm also not a big fan of the form but you made it look very nice with the flowing curve. Nice job - oh I also like the gloss wipe-on poly, I can't believe that is just wipe on! Now you're going to have me trying it out How many coats of poly did you end up using to get the nice gloss?

Steve, the surface prep and finish looks flawless. No tool or sanding marks. I like the dye work as it gives the piece some richness and warmth. As for form, I would like to see more gentle curve to the lower section with the shoulder a little higher.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

-Tony

Certainly a Steve piece. I like the color and finish.

Steve, the form looks almost identical to some Navajo pottery I saw at an antique show this weekend. So you've done a great job with the southwest look. When I first saw the color of the wood I thought it might be some of the same kind of wood I got from Vaughn McMillan a while back...Red Ironbark Eucalyptus. Your finish is like glass, as always. Really a beautiful piece of work.

very nice, Steve

Maybe it's just me but I'm not big on the form. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but it's just not my style....

That said, I think the finish and color are great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

The finish and color look great. Don't know enough about the southwest forms to judge the shape. I can't say that it appeals to me as much as your other SW shapes.

I very much concur with Baxter, the color is quite nice and it being Maple is not easy to get it even without blotching, you did well on that Steve, as for the shape, I think it could stand slightly more curve on the lower half .
    Have fun and take care

Steve
    Everyone really likes this piece and it is beautiful, But I really think its off in the top ether the opening is about a inch to high or the wide part is an inch to low.The pictures truly shows what we have all talked about here before 1/3 top 2/3 bottom.Of course just MHO.

Harry