Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Fractured Earth" - Mesquite

I'd have turned it a foot thick & used body armor! pretty vessel

Thanks all for all of the kind words. Believe me, I am not disapointed of the 1/2" thickness. I stopped on purpose at 1/2" due to the small area left going to 1/2" thickness. It was wrapped secure and had no fear of coming apart while turning but didn't want it to come apart even after turning and the thickness actually shows more depth of the bark and rough shape of the voids. I am quite proud of the vessel and thanks to everyone for their kind words. I absolutely love Mesquite myself. We don't have any around this part of Texas, but many people from this part of Texas hunt in areas that have this wood and at times are willing to bring some back for me. It is such a beautiful wood and the area that has this stuff, feel this wood to be a trash tree. It may be, but is gold to us turners.

I did learn a lesson. While roughing, I was wearing a pair of sandles and a chunk of bark flew off and hit my foot. It was a large piece from the large crack space and it really hurt when it hit. haha, I went and put on my steel toe shoes from work until I finished the roughing. No more sandles for me.....lol.
    Last edited by Allen stagg; 02-21-2011 at 9:11 AM.

Excellent job, Allen. The form is perfect, and I'm glad you stopped at 1/2"! Really, really nice.

Awesome piece Allen, and I have to agree that I would'nt have gone any further in reducing the wall thickness on this one, and for the the size of this piece I think 1/2" is just fine and gives those voids depth and character, Great piece.

That looks great Allen, thanks for posting that up!

Great piece Allen!!! Thank you for not ruining a great work by trying for thin. That will surely generate a gasp of "Wow"!!! by anyone who see's it
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great shape and color! The missing parts make it a real standout! Thanks for posting!