Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QUIET Exhaust Fan for my Laser

QUIET Exhaust Fan for my Laser

Hello,
    I am looking for an exhaust fan this is quiet but still has a lot of CFM's. I work from home in a densely populated area and wanted to keep as quiet as possible to not disturb my neighbors.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I can't speak for any fan/blower other than my own, but I find the noise level on it to be very acceptable for a residential area as long as you aren't running it past 10pm or so. This blower is rated at 62 Db's and it is quite enough where I can be standing next to it and talking on the phone or to other people.

Heres my model

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC660P.html
    Trotec Speedy 30W (firing at about 34W) 29"x17"
    CNC machinist using Mastercam for Mills and Lathes
    Mechanical Engineer using Solidworks and Pro Engineer Wildfire
    Aquariumist Extrodinaire

Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

I put myblower in a (36"x 36") rubbermaid garage storage cabinet on the outside of my house.It protects the blower from the elements. I also insulated the inside of the box. It runs quiet and had no complaints from the neighbors. (yet)
    Tom Sieczkarek
    Cutting Light Custom Laser Engraving
    Epilog Helix -60 watts
    Sandblasting Cabinet
    Various wood working equipment

I've placed a furnace squirrel cage fan into a cabinet beneath my laser. Very quiet. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Earling View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for an exhaust fan this is quiet but still has a lot of CFM's. I work from home in a densely populated area and wanted to keep as quiet as possible to not disturb my neighbors.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

I bought a 1.5 horse JET dust collector and its rated @ 1150 cfm. All the piping runs from the laser through the dust collector and then vents outside. It's not loud at all.... I had about $500.00 in the whole setup.
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

Bottom line for the kind of CFM we need is that the noise of the motor/fan is secondary to the noise from the air itself: if your blower is inside, your neighbors won't be able to hear it over the sound of the air whooshing through the outlet. That's mostly a nondirectional "white noise" effect unless you've greatly overkilled your CFM requirement.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Red face

I run my simple setup all night long without worry. I have the Penn State 1.5hp blower which you can often find second hand on Craigslist.

Here are some videos regarding sound level. The camera is real sensitive so it makes it sound very loud but it isn't. Note that on the outside video that you can hear birds chirping above the noise. You just don't notice the sound when walking by or when indoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxz8WHSGu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAKFx9QDcg

GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

I bought the H.F. model most recommended here and put it in my attic, as my laser in on my 2nd floor. I then vent the exhaust thru one of the roof turbine fans and although somewhat noisy (whatever that means, as I'm partially deaf anyway); but not overly bad. Wouldn't recommend phone conversations (at least for me) in the area. I think my laser makes more noise than the fan in the attic.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

10. anybody knows where to find texts about the toxic gas made in the cut of MDF and acrilic ?! how toxic it is ? and a way to FILTRATE it? not to put away the smell, but to really filtrate it ?

thanks,

Carlos

Carlos,

Are you meaning PVC, instead of MDF and acrylic? Many posts here on the Creek about PVC and other hazardous materials you shouldn't laser. MDF and many acrylics are all what we do when lasering. Many manufacturers post MSDS's for their products; but they can be hard to read. Bottom line is anything that says PVC or vinyl in it - you should stay away from.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Quote Originally Posted by carlos alencar View Post
    anybody knows where to find texts about the toxic gas made in the cut of MDF and acrilic ?! how toxic it is ? and a way to FILTRATE it? not to put away the smell, but to really filtrate it ?

thanks,

Carlos
    You can find a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for MDF here. http://www.gp.com/build/pageviewer.a...elementid=4510
    For acrylic here http://www.plexiglas.com/msds/54.pdf

You need a standard exhaust system for your machine. Read this forum on the subject.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    Carlos,

Search here for a thread by me on a DIY filter for <$200. Posted about a year ago...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

To all above, thanks for all the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Swift View Post
    I think my laser makes more noise than the fan...
    What he said. (I have yet to encounter a setup for which that is not true.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.