Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup guide for Woodworkers

Sketchup guide for Woodworkers

I just got an add from the Taunton Press book store about an e-book on the use of sketch up for woodworkers. Has anyone used this. I know sketch is suppose to be easy to use but I sure struggle with it.

Jay, google Sketchup for woodworkers (i do not think I am allowed to post the link). Rob Cameron is an amazing FREE resource.

There is also a series of video tutorials at Swamp Road Wood Works. I'm not sure of the exact site but there are a series of beginner and a couple of intermediate tutorials. The beginning ones are the only ones I have used and they are excellent (and free).

I am just finishing up working through the e-book on sketch up for wood workers from Tautons. Its an excellent resource and IMO well worth the money. He has clarified a lot of things for me and lays out a design strategy that has changed the way i draw using the computer. I got it for $7.95 on sale this fall. There may be other good resources as well, but this one goe from beginner to competent user level with great explanations along the way. Worth a look.

I bought this e-book and I think it is worth the money. It shortened my learning curve. In a few hours of reading this e-book and trying the examples, I was able to use Sketchup to create my own projects. Well worth ten bucks.

Another + for the SketchUp E-book. I think I paid about $9.95. In four hours I got through the first 60 pages or so, and it resolved all the frustration I was having trying to learn it on my own. I highly recommend it.

I can't speak to the quality of these books (I'm sure they are great) but I have extensive experience with SketchUp. I was introduced to it in my first semester of my Master's program in City and Regional Planning and I enjoyed it so much that I taught myself how to use it. In a very short period, I became competent enough that my work with SketchUp (beyond novice but certainly not advanced) landed me my first job after grad school. Since then I've never gone a week without using it extensively. In fact, for a couple of years I probably used it literally everyday at work. It is an amazing program and is, in fact, one of the simplest 3D programs to use (I still refuse to learn AutoCAD as it is as the learning curve investment to reward ratio wasn't worth it for what I do). Of course, as with everything, there is a learning curve but if you can get past it, it's an amazing tool. In my opinion learning SketchUp is easier than accurately setting up a band saw. Keep at it!

BTW I am always available as a reference to anyone who would has questions as they are learning SketchUp. I can definitely help most beginners and even intermediate level users. Is there a forum on the Creek explicitly for SketchUp or CAD. If so, I should spend time there?

That is quite the testimonial Douglas.

Since you offered, I have a question:

I currently use MacDraft to draw 2D furniture/cabinet drawings. After a demo of turbocad, I realized Macdraft would be far easier to learn and use on my own, though I understand CAD ultimately has greater capabilities. I'm primarily interested in 2D for my shop drawings, but I suppose 3D could be nice for customer presentations if it doesn't take forever to do.

I guess my question is: how would you describe the 2D capabilities and ease of use of Sketchup? I like my simple plan and elevation views of projects and don't want to spend all day drawing. Or am I missing out on the value of 3D?

Thanks for any comments! -Steve

Blog Entries
    +1 for the ebook Sketchup for Woodworkers. not real expensive and well worth it. Nicely done. I think different people will do better with different books. it really depends on your learning style, previous experience and so on. Check out the other references above, but it's also worth trying.. you'll find one that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    That is quite the testimonial Douglas.

Since you offered, I have a question:

I currently use MacDraft to draw 2D furniture/cabinet drawings. After a demo of turbocad, I realized Macdraft would be far easier to learn and use on my own, though I understand CAD ultimately has greater capabilities. I'm primarily interested in 2D for my shop drawings, but I suppose 3D could be nice for customer presentations if it doesn't take forever to do.

I guess my question is: how would you describe the 2D capabilities and ease of use of Sketchup? I like my simple plan and elevation views of projects and don't want to spend all day drawing. Or am I missing out on the value of 3D?

Thanks for any comments! -Steve

Steve, drawing in 2D is very easy in Sketchup but you're really are missing out if you aren't modeling in 3D. Most of the time I model my project just as I would build them, every piece, mortise,tenon, dado and so on are just like the real thing. You can catch mistakes in design when you model each piece. Plus, in 3D you have something as close to the real thing as you can get without a mock up.

...To 3D or not to 3D... that is the question!

Wow, Steve... on first glance your question seems simple enough; but it's really such a loaded question I just don’t know how to tackle it efficiently. Really it sounds to me like your deeper question has more to do with whether or not you want to, or should, invest time and money into 3D design software of any kind; that actually seems much more a questions of economics or even philosophy. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so maybe we ought to consider starting a new thread or perhaps I could send you a response directly. What do ya think?

And now that I've finally posted... I see that Brice's mind is far less convoluted than mine. I aspire to his brevity and conciseness. From a design perspective and as someone who has spent four years specializing in concept design of the strangest collection of projects you'll find on one desktop... I heartily agree! <chanting> 3D, 3D, 3D, 3D !!!

Thanks Brice and Douglas,
    It's very encouraging to hear that Sketchup is good in 2D. I'm much more motivated to give it a try, knowing that I can move up to 3D if I like.

I resisted computer drawing for years, as I can pencil draw up things quite fast. Of course now I can't live without it, and maybe Sketchup is just what I need to move up to the next level.

Thanks again, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    Thanks Brice and Douglas,
    It's very encouraging to hear that Sketchup is good in 2D. I'm much more motivated to give it a try, knowing that I can move up to 3D if I like.

I resisted computer drawing for years, as I can pencil draw up things quite fast. Of course now I can't live without it, and maybe Sketchup is just what I need to move up to the next level.

Thanks again, Steve
    Steve, you should understand that in sketch up you will be drawing in 3D, that is all that sketchup does. But it allows you to view the model from a plan or elevation view without parallel projection, so it looks like 2D, and there is no requirement to make your drawings 3D by giving them volume. I use it for quick elevation sketches all the time in situations where a full 3D rendering is not needed from a shop building prospective. I will not spend 3 hours modeling something I can build with a 15 minute sketch. But it is great to have the 3D capability for more complicated assemblies.

For a great source of info on Sketchup head on over to Fine Woodworking.com and read through the "Design. Click. Build" forum. You can't go wrong with reading through any post over there by David Richards. He is a wellspring of SU knowledge and an extremely nice and helpful guy.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields