Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Variation of a Southwestern Theme

Awesome wood Steve, nicely done as well.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

That's a beautiful piece. I really like the form, not to mention the wood and the finish, very much. Have to keep this one in mind ...

Blog Entries
    I feel so redundant sometimes. But, that is sweet! I agree with John... one of the best SW's.
    Have a Nice Day!

Looks Gorgeous Steve, I love it and would'nt change a thing.

Steve, that's such a pretty piece. Photos 2,3,7 are just beautiful with the contrast in the wood. The form is beautiful, the small foot gives it a nice dainty look. And it's hard to beat a Steve Schlumpf finish.

Excellent job, Steve. You brought the best out that piece, and the finish looks flawless. I need to learn the difference between wind and ring shake. I recently had a nice piece of walnut go completely haywire and a large hollowform wound up a small bowl.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment - I appreciate it! Have to admit that this is one of my favorite turnings so far... I just love the form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great shape Steve. I really like the size, using that to show off all that great color. And only 320? Wow!! I have some work to do! Nice job sir!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Steve that is a beauty and have to say one of my favorites. Form and finish are outstanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really like the shape and the variation in the wood from different angles is very neat!

Steve---I too think this is one of your best - form, finish and wood are all tops.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

It is rare when I see a piece on the internet that I would like to have in my own home. This is one of the rare ones. the balance of color is just perfect, the shape is calling to my hands to pick it up..it is devoid of ornamentation & stands on it's own. Yep, it would look terrific in my home.( 90% shaker) A fine piece, Steve.

13. Steve,

A question on how you mounted this on the lathe. The orientation of the growth rings..........was this strictly an end grain orientation, or face grain? It looks to be oriented a little skewed from what one would think would be end grain, but not all the way face grain. Was the mounting with the growth rings at a bit of an angle?

Could you post a sketch with a log, and the way the grain was running when mounted on the lathe? If it is not too much trouble. My question might be answered in that is was just the way this particular piece of the tree had its grain running, and not the mounting on the lathe, but it would be helpful to know the grain orientation.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-28-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger - the blank was rotated slightly off true end-grain so that the coloring would run diagonal once finished.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very nice....