Thread: Hollowing Sideways

Hollowing Sideways

I turn primarily southwestern pottery style hollow forms and at I have reached a point that I need to be able to reach further to the side of the vessel opening than my current hollowing tool is capable of reaching. I have been using a Woodcut hollowing that can reach approximately 3" in from the side of the opening. Opening size is in the range of 1-1.25" and I do not want to increase it as I like the look quite well. So I'm interested in hearing what you've got that might solve my little problem. Hollow form size is generally in the 8-10 range. Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Randy

Monster hollowing system...hands down!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I was just getting ready to say - that is why Randy makes the Monster system! But, Jim beat me to it. It can be done with hand held tools, but the torque on a 10" form is significant - you will take quite a beating doing it by hand.

4. I was able to hollow right to 1/8" thick on the side wall of my cherry southwest hollow form recently...........I could have gone farther, but that would have made the inside larger than the outside, and I thought it best to stop where I did.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...orm&highlight=

Monster, hands down!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Randall - I also do primarily Southwestern pottery style of hollow forms - just something about the shape that I cannot get enough of! Anyway - I have both of the Monster systems and highly recommend checking out what Randy has to offer! http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart....category_id=61
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I was just getting ready to say - that is why Randy makes the Monster system! But, Jim beat me to it. It can be done with hand held tools, but the torque on a 10" form is significant - you will take quite a beating doing it by hand.
    Actually John, a properly set up arm brace hook tool gives no torque problems. I've been using the Stewart tool since 1987. It's all in how you use it. I've done some pretty wide HF's with little or no problem.

Not long ago I got Randy to make a left handed Monster for me. Haven't had a chance to give it much use but it'll likely replace the Stewart for most hollowing. I'll still use my small Stewart for very small pieces.

I just ordered one today. Now the waiting game begins
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Actually John, a properly set up arm brace hook tool gives no torque problems. I've been using the Stewart tool since 1987. It's all in how you use it. I've done some pretty wide HF's with little or no problem.

Not long ago I got Randy to make a left handed Monster for me. Haven't had a chance to give it much use but it'll likely replace the Stewart for most hollowing. I'll still use my small Stewart for very small pieces.
    What's the difference in a 'left handed' version?

I agree with the monster system. I have both and will do anything you need.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ok now I have questions for those of you using the Monster system. How small an opening can you hollow thru and still be able to reach 3-5" to the side? How long does it take for you to hollow a vessel that is 3x9" using the Monster system. Example of form attached.
    RandyIMG_0495.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    What's the difference in a 'left handed' version?
    I'm a lefty so my hollowing tools have always been set up to cut on the right side of the vessel with the piece turning clockwise. Most lefty's who use tools are ambidextrous because it's a right handers world. I can do many things with tools with either hand but I prefer to use my Stewart hook tool with my left hand so I just continued with that with the Monster.

Because most of my students are right handed I teach and demonstrate for them while turning right handed
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 03-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Houghton View Post
    Ok now I have questions for those of you using the Monster system. How small an opening can you hollow thru and still be able to reach 3-5" to the side? How long does it take for you to hollow a vessel that is 3x9" using the Monster system. Example of form attached.
    Randy
    Randy, with the full size Monster, the bar is 3/4". Because of clearance issues, I have a hard time keeping the hole less than 1 1/16" or so. I have not hollowed a 10" piece, so I don't know what effect that would have on the process. I have hollowed around 7", however, with the same hole. It takes me about an hour to hollow a 6" piece, which is closer to what I normally do.

John, thanks for the information that is exactly what I was looking for. Monster is a nice system but I find the price to be prohibitive so I guess I'll stick with what I'm using. There appears to be two camps forming in the hollowing community one using freehand methods and one using captive systems. I wonder if any of the big name pros like Ellsworth or Jordan are using captive systems?
    Regards
    Randy