Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Very Important Turning Tool...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that Wally.... I've never thought of oil sanding early, always done that in the 400-600 grit stage.

Also, what do we use when they take all the incandescents off the market !!!! Its getting harder to find them at the store ....

Excellent tips Wally! I will have to give that oil sanding method a try!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

how many shops have you been in that they have a "used" sandpaper box
    i have a used sandpaper box ............................................ its called a trashcan

and its right under my lathe for convenient discarding ofany piece of sandpaper thats been used i have nowhere to put used paper other than the trash box (thats intentional)

THanks Wally, I will definitely be giving it a try now that you have answered what has been giving me a mental block regarding it. Thanks for another tool in my tool chest!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Wally,

Great info. Have a novice question. Does it matter what type of oil, say Tung Oil, Antique Oil BLO etc is used to wet sand ? I presume you would use the same type of oil to sand with as the piece would be finished with, such as you would wet sand with Tung Oil if the piece was to be finished with Tung Oil, sand with Antique Oil if the finish was to be Antique Oil etc.

Thx,
    Bob

Wally

This is a great thread, I have learned alot new stuff and revisited the old. Now if we can just get you to post your other handouts

[QUOTE=Bob Aumock;1655768]Wally,

Great info. Have a novice question. Does it matter what type of oil, say Tung Oil, Antique Oil BLO etc is used to wet sand ? I presume you would use the same type of oil to sand with as the piece would be finished with, such as you would wet sand with Tung Oil if the piece was to be finished with Tung Oil, sand with Antique Oil if the finish was to be Antique Oil etc.

Bob, you can use just about any finishing oil for oil sanding. If you plan to use oil for a finish then of course use the same oil for sanding. When I apply the oil I don't saturate the wood, I just wipe some on using a paper towel while the lathe is running slowly. The sandpaper will clog quickly so I add a bit more oil and use another piece of sp. After I've finished and am ready to go on to the next grit, the oil will have disappeared.

Wally, thanks for the wisdom. What type of oil do you use and do you hand sand with the grain before moving up to the next grit?

Wally .. I tried it this evening! Wet sanded a bowl with BLO for the 80 grit and 100 grit .... it certainly made those first grits WAY easier.

Bill ... I did a few passes with the grain before moving up the next level, like I do for pens. with the light at the right angle, you can see where it helps.

I tried this on a small elm vase I turned yesterday, but I used quite a bit of BLO, and with the first two grits. As a result, the paper clogged quickly in all the grits, but the end result was still good - I think. The piece was green and still pretty damp, so it got oil, then a coat of Antique Oil, and is now drying in a bag. It was very smooth though.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    Wally, thanks for the wisdom. What type of oil do you use and do you hand sand with the grain before moving up to the next grit?
    I just use whatever finishing oil I have on hand. Don't apply too much. Just wet the surface using a paper towel. Hand sanding with the grain? Depends on the wood. Some woods seem to need more sanding care than others. I always do with small spindle turnings though. Pens, finials etc.

Thanks for this great post, Wally. Cleared up my questions about the grit progression typically used. I'll defintely try the oil sanding.
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC

glad you posted this..yes sanding has beconme a 3 hsp. endeavor.. A super sanding job, takes attention to detail & that takes handwork.

If sandpaper can clog when oil sanding what about the pores in the wood. Is this ever a problem when using something like oak ?
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN THOMAS View Post
    If sandpaper can clog when oil sanding what about the pores in the wood. Is this ever a problem when using something like oak ?
    I imagine it would fill the pores pretty well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome