Thread: True Confessions -- My new shop

Red face True Confessions -- My new shop

All,

I have been a bit of a lurker here for many months but wanted to thank everyone for all of the good information and advice that I gleaned from your discussions. I recently moved from a condo into a house and am finally able to have a workshop of my own. I caught the wood-turning bug about 3 years ago and have been having loads of fun ever since.

The shop is in my garage and is devoted to wood-turning (at least for now). Just about everything was bought since November (the Black Friday deals were incredible!), but its taken awhile to get it all setup and functioning.

My "true confession" is that normally the shop is much neater and more organized than the pictures imply. I decided to take a few pictures after a couple of days of working on lidded hollow-forms which will be used to hold Sugar and Non-Dairy Creamer for my wife's coffee addiction.

First--the centerpiece of the shop is my lathe, a brand new Powermatic 3520B. Lots of great advice on selecting the model and how to set it up (it's huge and heavy!). Fortunately we had a small lathe raising party and some of the experts in our local club helped make short work of the project.

Attachment 185809

Behind the lathe is my dust collection system--when I started researching the shop, I had no idea how complicated (or how opinionated) setting up a system would be. It's definitly still a work in progress, but it does the job for the most part (bandsaw is still an issue)--will post more in the Workshop Forum on my design. One aspect I will mention now is the floor sweep which I just completed. It works really well and saves my back from the frequent forays of sweeping and keeping the shop pristine.

Workshop-14.jpg Workshop-18.jpg Workshop-16.jpg

To the left is a cabinet which houses my sharpening station on top, sandpaper organizer and inside is the compressor and vacum pump. Please note, in the spirit of "True Confessions" that the clutter is actually cleverly staged, my normal shop being pristine.

Attachment 185810 Workshop-21.jpg

Speaking of vacuum pumps, a friend Bill Tarelton, helped me build out a vacuum chuck assembly at a very reasonable cost.

To the right is the bandsaw--also a subject of lot's of research and advice. It includes the 6" riser kit and is primarily used for trimming out bowl blanks. This was definitly the hardest machine to put together and get functioning correctly! Must have done something right since it seems to be working well and has done some really serious triming on some large blanks (20" diameter crouch sections).

Attachment 185811

We built out a wall in the garage to seperate the woodshop from the laundry facilities. So far this has worked well and my wife hasn't been complaining about the dust! On that wall I located a drill press and wil be building it out for so I can store more of my tools and jigs.

Workshop-8.jpg

On the far wall are a set of built-in cabinets and shelves that will be used to help keep the shop neat and organized (remember--I just staged the disorder for this True Confession .

Workshop-9.jpg

On the ceiling near the lathe we also have a filtration unit to help keep the air clean and the dust contained.

Workshop-19.jpg

Without this forum, i could never have built this tool rack (I will upload a cut list in a seperate thread)--its working well and I plan to add another for the smaller tools.

Workshop-17.jpg

So a big hearty thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience on this forum. I can attest, it makes a big difference--I really couldn't have built this without your help.

Joel

Looks like some of my attachments didn't make it. Here are the missing ones:

Powermatic Lathe
    Workshop-6.jpg

Vacuum Pump System:
    Workshop-22.jpgWorkshop-23.jpg

Bandsaw:
    Workshop-7.jpg

Love it - you have a great turning shop going there. I really like the mustard lathe...

Jon

Joel, great setup - well organized and outfitted with some great equipment. Thanks for sharing. Now, you have to share some pics of the turnings you do on that Mustard Monster!!

5. Nice diggs there Joel! Thanks for sharing ................now you need to post some of your work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I really like the setup. Looks like everything is right there together so alot of walking is not involved. I like all the tools too. I'm with John, I would like to see some turnings.

Great looking shop with some really nice equipment. Thanks for the pic's.

You have a great looking shop there and as the others have said now it is time to share some turnings....we like pictures!

Don't see anything much to confess to, but plenty of bragging rights. Looks like a great place to turn, lots of room to move around for now. Looks like you are starting out with first class gear.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Looks like a nice setup... Congrats!

One thing I noticed that you may want to consider... It appears that you've got reducers on the branches of your dust collection, and you should get better airflow if you can eliminate them. For instance, if you use full size PVC all the way down to the floor sweep, you should get better flow and suction.

I'm looking forward to seeing some turnings coming out of that man cave soon!