Thread: First time dovetailing.

First time dovetailing.

Well other then some test cuts 6 months ago I hadn't used my Incra super system for dovetails yet so I thought I would try it out today. It took me a little while to remember things and I had to do a lot of reading through the manual again but they turned out really nice. I wish I wouldn't have used this junk wood from Lowe's but I figured there would be a learning curve and I didn't want to waste any of my good wood. Oh well the drawers are just for a little night stand for my wife anyway. I still think if I was dovetailing a lot then a regular dovetail jig would be the way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glueing up dovetails sucks. I started getting nervous I was taking to long and my glue was going to set up. Do you have to use clamps? I put them on but to be honest with you once the dovetails were seated the clamp didn't really do anything.

I hope you can take a bit of constructive criticism.

They ... um ... look perfect.

They look good to me....

I have not done a lot of dovetails but I still use clamps when I glue them up.

What jig did you use to make them?

I actually bought a used Incra super system with wonder fence and this is the first time I have tried it out for dovetails. There were a couple of lesser joints in the bunch but that had to do with the crappy warped wood I used. I never thought they would turn out good and was really doing testing but they turned out good enough to use for what it is.

Those dove tails are excellent. Working in pine is a real challenge as opposed to say poplar or cherry. They are really good and far better than any I've ever seen in antique furniture. The Incra jig is a handy thing to have. I use mine for box joints mainly and I've slid the slope on hand cut dove tails.

Be proud. You've earned it.

Just be sure to put the bottom in the drawer before you put glue on your dovetails...DAMHIKT

I always set the joint with a clamp, just to squeeze out any excess glue. Then I take the clamp off and set the box on a flat surface to dry. For speed, I drop in the glue from the bottle, then wipe it around with an acid brush. A little dab will do you with glue since cleaning out inside the drawer can get tough.