Thread: Finishing a QS White Oak cabinet

Finishing a QS White Oak cabinet

HELP!!! I'm getting ready to start finishing a QS White Oak cabinet for a friend. They want the color to be something called "Mission Cherry", but I can't find any dye or stain that is labeled as such. Can anyone direct me to a source, or a mixture of products to achieve the desired results?

Best bet is to tell your friend to provide you with a sample of what he wants. Otherwise, give him some samples to choose from.

Blog Entries
    I have used Minwax Cherry stain on oak and it will look similiar to a Mission type finish.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

There is no specific color that is "mission cherry"...that's a name that someone made up at some point. As someone already suggested, get a sample of the desired finish and then work with stock dyes and stains to reproduce it. You'll need to work with scrap from your project to determine what your finishing regimen will be to get the results you are being asked to produce. And don't forget, it's not just the dye/stain that imparts color; your intended top coat products will alter it, too. So be sure to go through all the steps on your test pieces and document exactly what you did to get the color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all. I was hoping the solution would be much simpler.