Thread: Birch logs Should I have them milled?

Birch logs Should I have them milled?

I have a chance to pick up two large 22 inch Birch logs. Any input on future use would help. I have air dried oak, ash and cherry. No Birch, is it worth having cut?

If the prices at my supplier are any indication, birch is getting kinda expensive.

How long are the logs?

I made an electric guitar out of birch. It has a nice mellow look and some of the grain was rather interesting. I'd go ahead and do it. It machines fairly nicely. Its a good secondary wood if you don't like the grain. If nothing else you can use it for edge banding Baltic Birch plywood.

Dave,

Birch is nice; not great, maybe, but nice. Correct that, there is some figured birch that would qualify as great, but you won't know if you've got any until the log is sawn into lumber. Some folks here stain poplar in the hopes of imitating cherry, but IMO birch is a much better choice for that.

And if you want to build a workbench top, birch would be an ideal timber for the purpose.

Of course, careful drying (end coating the logs, proper stacking and stickering, etc.) is essential for ending up with the best material.

what birch species?

White (paper) birch, yellow birch or black birch?

Yellow (especially) and black may be considered first quality hardwood, depending, of course, on the log. The heartwood of yellow birch is known among woodworkers as "red birch". Even without premium figure, red birch is, in my opinion, a beautiful wood with just a clear finish. I am less familiar with black birch, but know it is valued.

White birch, on the other hand, is considerably softer and less stable than the others. This is not to say that it is not of value, it is just less desirable than the other two. It makes good secondary wood, once it has been allowed to move. It can also be used as primary wood, but the density and stability should be taken into account.

There is also River Birch.

I planted a River Birch sapling about 10' away from my septic leaching field 20 years ago. Had to cut it down 2 years ago because it was out of control! I took my chainsaw and cut it into 2" slabs. Got about 4 of them 8 feet long and about 12 to 15 inches wide. Looking forward to planing them soon. A pretty soft, non de-script wood, but it sure was happy tapping into all those nutrients! I've never seen anything grow so fast.

I think this is Yellow Birch. Sounds like it will work out.