Thread: D4R versus D4R Pro

D4R versus D4R Pro

I recently picked up a like new D4R...I thought it was a "Pro" but found out from Leigh that it is not. There wasn't a comparison chart between those two on the Leigh site, but I did notice you could upgrade from the D4R to the Pro by buying several upgrade kits, to include a $99 kit to change out the fingers. Is there that much difference between what I have and the Pro to pay for any of the upgrade features offered by Leigh? Thanks

Don, the D4R cuts dovetails! That is what I bought mine for 20 years ago! It does exactly what it is supposed to do--cut custom-spaced dovetails in 3/4" stock of blanket chests, with a hand-cut look! Only buy the accessories if you NEED to do what they provide. Personally, I won't be cutting any "teddy bear" isolock joints any time soon.

The Pro package includes:

1/2'' 8° dovetail bit
    1/2'' 14° dovetail bit
    5/16'' straight bit
    1/2'' to 8mm collet reducer
    e7 Template Guide
    Cam action speed clamps
    Sliding dovetail fence
    Square drive screwdriver
    5/64'' hex key
    Fully illustrated User Guide
    Instructional DVD
    Half-blind bridge piece material
    Leigh Wrench
    Single pass spacer
    Box joint spacer
    Nylon stop rod

The older D4R included:

Leigh D4R Dovetail Jig
    Two dovetail bits, one straight bit
    One collet reducer, 5/64″ hex key, e7 template guide bush, square-head guide finger screwdriver, Leigh wrench/gauge
    Four cam-action speed clamps
    Nylon stop rod, single pass spacer, box-joint spacer, half-blind bridge-piece material
    Sliding dovetail fence
    Fully illustrated user guide, instructional DVD

All other accessory templates and dust collection shroud are optional, and could be used on either one. Buy only what you need!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The "Pro" version allows (from the Leigh site):
    - five sizes of single pass dovetails
    - two sizes of precisely fitted box joints, all routed with the standard dovetail finger assembly

Single pass dovetails would be nice if I made a lot of drawers but not worth the $s for me to convert my D4 model.