Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Messing around with burl caps

You have been practicing on your patients again!! I'm not sure about the burn on the HF and think John's idea of a stamin/finial is really cool. The simple base is really great. How did you get underneath the HF and clean that out...special Ortho only tool? Really over the top!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

OUTSTANDING! David if you need a drier climate for that to finish settling in, let me know. I will find a safe space for it! I think you should get yer pimp avatar back for this one!
    mj

Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Schaewe View Post
    Yeah, what they all said! That is really neat. This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you would have to keep a finial perfectly proportional to the HF, given the mass underneath it. JMO.

Excellent!
    ps - I started to turn my one and only aussie burl yesterday, and pretty quick put it right back on the shelf. Dusty and hard as heck.
    I think you're right, Cathy, but I couldn't figure out what would look right. Maybe on a future turning... I've still got a few more in the box. Yes, the Aussie burls are hard and a bit dusty, but they finish beautifully. Since the dust collector, I don't mind the dusty stuff nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...IMO this piece deserves something different. One thought on a finial would be to do a multi-piece that would pick up on the stamen idea - sort of an exotic flower, lily pad, concept. Just a thought - as I realize the scale gets a little difficult to do at this point...
    That's an interesting idea, John. Your right about the scale of things, but I really enjoy working small at times. I'll keep it in mind for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff View Post
    ... Which Clewes video did you see this on as I don''t remember seeing anything like this. Just too cool!!
    Disc three from 'Turn It Up'... He does a double turning from a mallee burl cap with a spun silver insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    David, Wow!
    I'm not familiar with the Jimmy Clewes video, but I have to guess that even with his inspiration, this has to be one of the most unique turnings I've seen. I really like it.

Now, as to the technical aspects of turning something like this, how in the heck did you do it? I've done some wild edged natural pieces but never with something where I had to get down and under the bottom of a HF while the wings of the base are trying give me the nickname, "stubby". What kind of tool did you use to get the lower 1/3 of the HF portion? If it's a secret, I understand. But that really has me in awe and scratching my head. This is one of those turnings that really fascinates me. Beautiful work!
    Thanks, Curt. You should know that I don't have any secrets. What I do have are a bunch of funny looking screwdrivers... I repurposed a number of different screwdrivers into wicked looking scrapers. They look a bit like a claw on the end allowing for a scraping cut on the bottom of the HF and the opposing surface of the NE piece... In other words, it's a concave scraper on one side and convex on the other.

It's a little hairy when you get right into the corner with the thing because it's cutting on both surfaces at once. In the Clewes video referenced above, he regrinds an old scraper if I recall correctly. It would be much harder to do this form with something that scrapes less well than the Aussie stuff.

David, that is fantastic, both in concept and execution. It looks great to me as it stands right now. In picture #3, the hf appears to have a bit more shine than the rest of the burl cap, and it looks like a little gem sitting on a leaf. Thanks for the explanation on cleaning up between the two "parts;" that had me scratching my head. I can imagine a bit of held breath while taking the last pass or two there!

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say: Sweet!!!

Oh, and since I have my club's dvd library here, I know what I'm watching when I'm done with the creek in a few minutes.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

It has all been said above...this is amazing!

David---That turned out really nice. I'm also wondering how you got the lower part of the the small form and the area of the large form below it? Ooops, just read the rest of the thread -- never mind.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 03-20-2011 at 1:20 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

It's a wonderment! beautifully crafted. The little bowl in the big field will have to grow on me..golly that cap is gorgeous..

David, this is a really sweet piece The only(very slight) criticism is that I feel it would look a lot more delicate if the edges were just a bit thinner than they are but all i all a very impressive piece.

David...very nice piece of art. really like the flow of this one, well proportioned and
    a very nicely finished piece. You did good!!
    Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

I am really enjoying the look of this piece. I looks like a very big oak leaf with a small hollow gall growing on it.
    Love it!!!! Great work.

I have to agree woth Curt on this one, I see alot of broken or at least badly brused knucles with this one. The pucker facter is diffinatly in and around 9. Great job and an even better finish.
    Darren in Oshawa

Impressive! Reminds me of some sort of exotic flower! Very - very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

really, really like it and more than like.

Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Taylor View Post
    David, this is a really sweet piece The only(very slight) criticism is that I feel it would look a lot more delicate if the edges were just a bit thinner than they are but all i all a very impressive piece.
    I agree with you Johnny, but I think the edges look thicker in the photos than in person. It's right around an eighth or maybe 3/16", and I don't have the bollocks to go thinner. I truly appreciate the feedback.