Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting multiple sheets of paper / cardstock?

I can't comment on the power you need, but just the process. What kind of a product are you making? If you clamp large sheets around the outside it doesn't necessarily mean they will be in contact everywhere. Gaps between pages will result in smoke/char getting between. Also when the sheets are handled that char may smear around. They will also smell like burnt wood. So what you are making may affect whether stacking will actually work.

The product is small 3 in x 3 in stacks of paper glued on one end like sticky notes. Normally you would diecut them but in this case there are too many shape possibilities. I was thinking we could cut a zero clearance plate out of wood and use that to clamp the paper down. We are just cutting a silouhette. I asked about charring and was told the edges could be black but excessive burning or smearing wouldnt be good. I have read here and somewhere else that using gasses to prevent flaming works well but I think I would still clamp along the entire edge.

However, even if we can work that issue out, i am wondering about speed

Jorge, from what I have seen, if you do manage to cut it, you will get black soot all over your hands as soon as you pick up the stack.

The Handbook of Laser Material Processing says this: "The generation of carbon dust cannot be avoided in carbon-based materials, and so the cut edge will be covered in a thin layer of carbon dust. The majority of this can be wiped off, but the cut edge is invariably darkened."

In this case, if you try to wipe it, it will just smear on the layers and probably get between.

For wood, cardboard, plywood, and paper they suggest air as the assist gas. If you starve it of air, you probably won't get a good cut, as the mechanism of the cut is chemical degradation (aka burning).

I cut corrugated fibreboard and my hands get dirty as soon as I pick up a piece.

Sorry that is probably not what you wanted to hear . . .

Ok, thanks. Maybe we should be looking at clicker type dies, hate the thought of thousands of those dies hanging around. I will continue to investigate. Have a good night.

Jorge,

Black soot is GOING to happen. We cut paper/card for a business and use soft (make-up) brushes to brush the soot off the cardstock. It comes off nice and clean. It's a bit labour intensive, but out products command their pricetag.

With regards to stacking, I still cannot figure out a way in which I get the quality to match that of a single sheet being cut. Just cannot get the yellowing/staining to go. One sheet at a time for us. Stacking would be the holygrail for my business. It would save me hours and hours. But saying that, an autofeeder would be nice if 1 at the time is all we can do.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Thanks Jiten,

Iv been told the edge of the paper itself being darkened might be acceptable so I guess its still a possibility we may do the laser route. Has anyone cut paper that has been uv or aqueos coated, that should eliminate any smudging on the face of the paper, no?.

Im checking out machines now, maybe I will ask if a supplier can demo cutting a stack using a little inert gas with a stack of paper that is clamped down on the keeper side of the cut.

Also checking into cost for cookie cutter like clicker dies. It might be possible but would be thousands of dollars that i'd rather get and put into a machine.

We looked into dies, but the detail we do, its wouldnt be possible.

Check out our website (on my profile) and have a look at our products. there are some close up shots of the edges, which might give you an idea of what the finished edge looks like.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Checked it out, very nice! Our immediate need is much less intricate. I can see how a die would not work for you. I liked the edges, didn't look burned at all but I guess with multiple layers that changes the game entirely.

I am looking at cnc steel rule benders and making clicker type dies in-house, we only need simple profiles. Still want to add a laser to our shop though, maybe a small one.

Jiten, I'm sure you could make a simple shuttle type system without a lot of hassles by using a sliding jig or just have a few jigs you can easily take in and out ,ie one jig in, cut , take it out ,put next one in , reload old jig etc.
    The probem I see with an autofeeder in your application is dealing with the bits you cutting out. If I were making an autofeed , I would most likely use a printer and just output a blank page into a modified output tray (like a honeycomb instead of the printers output tray) , perhaps a tipping system of some sort to dump the cut sheet and the cuttings into a holding bin after cutting would work to leave a clean cutting surface for the next sheet. You would most likely have to run your laser open to do this.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 03-23-2011 at 9:00 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodne,

Thank you for that, our laser is open as is.

I like the idea of the slider, that might work, still manual, but might be quicker than the current process. Building a full automated system would require way more knowledge and skill than I have at the moment. I'm more of a designer than an engineer.

But some great ideas for me to think about.

jorge, not sure about steel dies, didnt really go into depth with them as we ruled them our real early in our business.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic