Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocobolo handeled Carcass Saw

Cocobolo handeled Carcass Saw

Hi Creekers,

after making saws together with Pedder for about 2 years now, we realized that we´ve made quite a number of customized saws - but not for ourselves. Our own saw tills look poor when looking for a TLT saw So we decided to make some saws for ourseleves in 2011, too.

The first was a 14" Carcass Saw with Cocobolo handle. Pedder shows his one on our blog

I want to show mine here.

It´s Carcass Saw in the sash saw size. Blade length 14"; depth at the heel 3", at the toe 2-3/4"; thickness 0.020" (I like fine bladed saws). It´s toothed cross cut to 11 TPI. The closed handle of mine got a slightly different design compared to Pedders. The top horn is a little thinner, the hook has curved chamfers to make it look some lighter and the dolphin cut is slightly deeper. Some pics:

The lambs tongue is relatively deep cut, 2 close-ups to show it:

The saw cuts quick and true but ... it´s a bear to start It requests a start on the pull stroke, what I´m not a real fan of.

Klaus
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-26-2011 at 7:39 AM.

Beautiful!

One of the nicest saws I've ever seen! Can you explain the details of making the handle? The lamb's tongue looks so crisp and the overall shaping is just perfect! Maybe let us in to secret of what tools you use?

That saw is just beautiful!

As usual,beautiful and immaculate work!!!!!!

Wow. Just gorgeous!

That's not a saw....it's a work of art.

However, USE IT !

What a beauty ! Great job. Some where there's a "You Suck" just waiting to be awarded....and a big drop from the Gloat Bird too.

Thanks for posting such a piece. Man, envy grows too quickly.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Klaus:

That is a truly exquisite piece - well done!

Dave Beauchesne

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Extremely well done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    The lamb's tongue looks so crisp and the overall shaping is just perfect! Maybe let us in to secret of what tools you use?
    Hi Tony,

the making of such a deep cut lambs tongue is a little bit time consuming. When sawing out the blank, there�s to consider that you need some space for the chamfers on the Top of the lambs tongue and on the bottom of the cheeks. Here a pic of the handle blank from the above shown saw.

CIMG2534.JPG

As you can see, there�s a cut between lambs tongue and cheeks. It�s made with a back saw in the needed depth. This cut enables you to work from both sides against it, at first with a (sharp!) chisel, then with a carving knife. The most shaping is done by using the carving knife, I use a some little Two Cherries carving knives. The fine Gramercy saw handle makers rasp is very helpful, too.

CIMG1589.JPG

For the smoothing of the surfaces between lambs tongue and cheeks I use a Japanese saw file. This hint came from a SMC member, I think it was George but I�m not sure. It works absolutely fine. I use one that is toothed only on one side.

CIMG2535.JPG

After that is done the areas have to be sanded. I use a thin and flexible nail file which will be wrapped with sanding paper in different grits.

Regards
    Klaus

Many thanks to all posters, your comments make me feel fine!

Klaus

Blog Entries
    Very nice work.

Thanks for sharing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Real nice eye candy Klaus.. Thanks for the look see.

Those Japanese saw files are about the sharpest edged files out there!! I have both double and single side ones also.

Klaus,

Your workmanship gives us all something to aspire to! I've seen a lot of saws posted here and on other forums, but this one tops them all! It hits the perfect balance in all senses!

T.Z.