Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley, Sanding Block, Ruler Trick

Lee Valley, Sanding Block, Ruler Trick

I've had the Lee Valley Sanding Block for a while now and was getting more and more frustrated. Seemed expensive, but probably a good idea, I hate sanding anyways so anything to make it easier. After quite a few months using it I decided the only thing worse the the sandpaper slipping around a cork block was trying to get a sheet of sandpaper into those little clippy things. Or not getting the paper in tight enough. Really I was ready to chuck the thing across the shop some days..... BUT THEN!

-Open up block and Insert paper
    -Try and insert other end. Too short and ready to curse! No Wait..
    -Take ruler stolen from a kid
    -Slide in below clips and paper is dragged along!
    -Look at how nice and tight paper is after block is tightened!
    -Sigh with relief. Feel proud about not cursing.
    -Sand sand sand

I now think the block is worth every penny, and sand only with fresh clean cutting paper.

tn_DSCF1693.jpgtn_DSCF1694.jpgtn_DSCF1695.jpgtn_DSCF1696.jpgtn_DSCF1699.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-27-2011 at 1:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    I hate sanding anyways so anything to make it easier.
    A hand plane with a sharp blade can really cut down on the sanding.

I have always just used a block of hard wood with flutes cut into the side for finger grips to keep the paper tight when holding the block.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I cut a block of wood sized to make best use of the sandpaper. Then I cut a slot on an angle into the edge with a band saw or a hand saw. A table saw kerf is a little big but that can work too. Then I slip the edge of the sandpaper into the kerf and wrap in the direction that locks the paper in place. Very tight.

sandBlock.jpg
    RD

Thanks for the pictures....
    Paul

Years ago I made my own sanding blocks that utilize a quarter sheet. Cork face with a separate quick fastening top; no fidling. Of all of the shop built goodies I've made over the years, these sanding blocks have really paid off. I use them for general flat sanding and make purpose built special blocks and pads on a project by project basis. At the time that I built them I was too cheap to buy the LV unit. Lucky me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting Griphon. I don't have that particular block but for those that do (or one using that principle) this will be helpful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have 4 of the Lee Valley sanding blocks - 4 different grits. I really like them. I don't try to push the sandpaper into the clips. I always remove the brass screw completely and take off the maple block. Then I wrap the sandpaper, slip on the block, and put the screw back. Takes no time and flat and tight every time.

I just went to the Lee Valley website and read the instructions - you know, the stuff you read only after throwing the thing across the room a few times. Anyway, I apparently load sandpaper the correct way.

Those little blue buttons, instr, view, tech, acc, in the Lee Valley price lines have a lot of neat information.
    Last edited by John Gornall; 03-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Also, if you're using A-weight paper you can stack 4 or 5 pieces at a time, that way you can just rip off the dead piece and keep sanding instead of stopping to reload.

To be fair, the same instructions say :

"With little practice, you will be able to load the sanding block without having to remove both the knob and block. Loosening the knob sufficiently will create just enough of a gap between the springs and base plate for the sandpaper to slip into."

I have this block and still load paper by disassembling it. I look forward to trying the ruler trick, tho. I like the idea of owning more than one, each preloaded with a different grit. So simple it would never have occurred to me.
    Paul

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Also, if you're using A-weight paper you can stack 4 or 5 pieces at a time, that way you can just rip off the dead piece and keep sanding instead of stopping to reload.
    Now that sounds like a good idea, thanks John
    I gotta give that a try.

I've become a big fan of using 3M adhesive sandpaper rolls on a piece of MDF

Am I the only one who uses sanding sponges when I HAVE to sand?

Actually, John's idea of stacking sand paper on top of each other is a REALLY good idea, I think. I have a couple of shop-made sanding blocks that I try not to use...ever. I think I might give that a try, though and see how it works. Thanks!

jake
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    When you're in the thick of things and you really don't want to slow down there's nothing sweeter than ripping off the tired sheet and having at it without breaking stride. It makes me feel like those soldiers in the movies that drop the empty magazine, crack the fresh one on their helmet and get back to their work. Ah, this could explain why sanding gives me a headache; perhaps I should wear my bike helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Years ago I made my own sanding blocks that utilize a quarter sheet. Cork face with a separate quick fastening top; no fidling. Of all of the shop built goodies I've made over the years, these sanding blocks have really paid off. I use them for general flat sanding and make purpose built special blocks and pads on a project by project basis. At the time that I built them I was too cheap to buy the LV unit. Lucky me.
    Hi Chris, any chance of seeing a picture?

cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    When you're in the thick of things and you really don't want to slow down there's nothing sweeter than ripping off the tired sheet and having at it without breaking stride. It makes me feel like those soldiers in the movies that drop the empty magazine, crack the fresh one on their helmet and get back to their work. Ah, this could explain why sanding gives me a headache; perhaps I should wear my bike helmet?
    Very funny, Chris, and so true to life.

Pam