Thread: Converting a patio to finishing area

Converting a patio to finishing area

I have an enclosed patio that I would like to use as a finishing area. 2 of the walls are part of the house and the other 2 are aluminum and screen. I have covered most of the screen and set up a fan for circulation. I won't be doing any spraying inside the patio I just wasted an area away from my garage so I can still tinker in the garage while finishing a project.

My question is if I need to block off the sun light in the room, I know exposure to sunlight can damage the finish but I don't know about short term exposure.

I'm also concerned about the moisture difference from the garage to outside on the patio if it'll cause any problems with the project.

Any suggestions would be great.

-jeremy

Direct sunlight on a drying finish can cause it to dry too quickly and cause problems. But you can hang even a temporary curtain to shield the piece you are working on, I'd guess. Similarly, certain finishes will respond unfavorably to high humidity. Just check the finish for a recommended temperature and humidity level before commencing work. You'd probably also want to move the piece out to the patio and let it acclimate for a few hours before beginning work depending on how different the temperature and humidity is from the garage to patio.

Thanks for the info Thomas,
    Setting up a shade was easy enough I was able to make sure the table is completely out of direct sunlight all day.

-jeremy