Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool chest

Something like this Gerstner rolling chest has been on my list for a few years. My wall space is very limited, and having something I can move to where it's needed, or move out of the way entirely, fits the bill pretty well. While I love and am inspired by the Studley chest, it's not practical for me. My array of tools changes and the question then arises of what to do with the ones that don't look right in the chest.

gallery1-9.jpg

The Studley chest is quite a piece of engineering of space. However,it does look like you'd have to remove several tools to get to the one you want,in some cases,especially what look to be the chisels. Not the handiest thing to have to do in a busy working day. Maybe I'm wrong,not having had the pleasure of examining the chest closeup.

None the less,it is a thing of beauty!!

There is another great chest you never see. It is a patternmaker's tool chest in the Mariner's Museum,in Newport News,Va.. The chest itself is beautifully made,but I think the owner must have made many of the tools. I have never seen claw hammers like in the chest. I have not been able to see inside the chest too much as displayed. I mean to get a special private viewing one of these days,where I can examine all of its contents first hand. Should have done it when I was still toolmaker.

I was thinking of the Studley chest when I made my comment...not the Seaton chest. My mistake. The Seaton chest is a totally reasonable chest to make.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The Studley chest is quite a piece of engineering of space.

+1 on gary's comments on the seaton chest and the schwarz's book. I hear his talk fantastic talk at NWA and I am eagerly awaiting reading his book!
    Chris, has used his copy of the seaton chest extensively and has some really valid points about it's relatively poor design interms of durability. One of the important things to consider about that chest is that it wasn't really ever used. If i was was going to build a chest that I wanted to last generations I would probably wait a couple of months for Chris's book.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

5. A question for Jim Matthews - have you got any pics of how you arrange the tools in there ?

It looks great BTW !

I made this one in the early 1980's, I've always called it a tool box, I think of a tool chest as being much larger. It's made of cherry left over from a cabinet build. It is 32" wide, 18" tall and 10" deep. It's pretty heavy, but I still carry it by myself (it seems to get a little heavier with every passing year).

Last edited by Reid Adams; 04-10-2011 at 8:18 AM.

I got 2 rolling chests at Costco about 10 years ago. Except for having to re glue and screw their lids down(covered by the felt(ish) top layer,they have held up just fine,at 1/10 the cost of the Gerstner. I have one pretty full of files. No drawer bottoms have fallen out,or warped down so bad they couldn't be pulled out. just lucky I guess. An old HF tool box I have had for 20 years or so,is loaded clear up with endmills. Very heavy for any chest. It has held up,too. Has metal bottoms. I have heard of import drawer bottoms falling out,though with my total of 3 this has not happened.

Here is one I restored last year. Started as a flea market derelict.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gentleman Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Holman View Post
    That's a beaut Jim! Nicely done!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

A lot of good pic's. Thanks!

I guess my idea is a chest that would hold my best hand tools I find out in the wild. May or may not use it in the shop. Just kinda something I could pass down maybe. ( or something the family can say "What the heck do I do with this) LOL!!!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'll take some pictures, and send them off to you.
    FYI - the important dimensions should be set off the tools you carry. I set the width from two nestled saws, and the height from having a few things stacked.

While the original design functions as a portable trimming station, it's just a tote for me.

Pics to follow...

That looks awesome, Jim! Thanks for posting.

Was the chest interior already finished out or did you make the tills? Did you do any veneering?

What are the dimensions?

The reason I'm asking questions like a 3 year old is that I have a cabinetmaker's chest with a bare interior, bought from a guy who was selling off his stuff and getting out of woodworking. I want to build out the interior and use it.

Are those kerfs in the front section for your backsaws?

Jim
    Is your box meant to carry a subset of tools to a job site vs a permanent storage container? If a carrier 1/2" is plenty. I built something similar exc not as deep. I've had mine filled to overflowing w/ tools and while its heavy I could have loaded again as much w/o a problem. In retrospect Im glad I didn't make it any deeper b/c fishing things out would be a pain + the tendency to put tools on top of one another would be great. BTW copied mine from a pic in a Dana Story book.
    Last edited by jim goddard; 04-13-2011 at 2:17 PM.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

Wow! Beginner's question: why is the outside painted gray whereas the inside is stained?