Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why are these things so stinkin expensive?????

Hit a salvage yard and pick up a length of aluminum angle and slice off as many as you want. Sure they won't be machined to the thousandth, but neither will your wood. They are as expensive as they are because if they were more expensive, no one would buy them.

Seems pretty reasonably priced for where it's made and the quantities it's made in. You could make your own out of plywood for a lot less, just your time and plywood scraps. Pretty simple design and concept. Simple as making ZCI, push sticks, cauls, etc. I would have never thought anyone would buy these items if I sold them.

If you think those are costly you haven't spent much time shopping for machinists tools. Accuracy costs.....the more accurate the more costly. I don't think that's a bad price at all....but then again I bought a 4' Starett straightedge....talk about cheap

good luck,
    JeffD

I saw these at the woodworking show in Kansas City. I almost bought a pair, but opted for the aluminum ones that Woodpeckers sells. They are suppose to be more accurate on the inside of the square, at about the same price.

As for the price, I can find 10", 40 tooth carbide tipped saw blades for less than $20 at the BORG. Why would anyone pay $100 for a Forrest WW2?

John

I bought them at a show from the owner of the company. I like them and use them all the time. I even have a set of mini ones for small boxes, that he tried adding to his product line. They are machined out of a block of AL. I haven't seen them again though. If I see them at a show agaoin, I'll be buying another set.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Having been in the accounting business for 35 years, I doubt there is much corporate greed in that product. The greed comes from manufacturing them overseas at 1/10th the cost and selling them here for half. And from all of us buying them. Dave
    Actually, the greed comes from manufacturing stuff overseas at 1/10th the cost and selling here at the same cost as if made here.

As for this item in question, i dont think $15 is bad given that it has machined surfaces and is made here in the USA. I'd love to here from the company that makes these, and know the portion of the sales price that goes to taxes alone (all tax liabilites related to running a business in the US these days).... I'm willing to bet it's more than the profit they make on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I was defending the price. Costs for products add up quickly, especially if made here and even if produced at a non union wage rate. My point was that corporate greed is more likely a reason if produced overseas and that as consumers our preference for low price makes us greedy also. Dave
    !00% in agreement, especially that last bit. I think the price is just fine myself, don't see the problem.

They are not expensive. They are small tools that do one thing and do it excellently and they will last longer than you do. Yes, you can spend your time making squares out of plywood but wouldn't you rather be making more interesting things out of wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    They are not expensive. They are small tools that do one thing and do it excellently and they will last longer than you do. Yes, you can spend your time making squares out of plywood but wouldn't you rather be making more interesting things out of wood?
    I understand your point but honestly I could knock out four of these things in scrap plywood in 5 to 10 minutes. That's pretty good payback! Now you can use the money you saved to buy something that you can't easily make. Way ahead of the game now!

David's observations about greed are SPOT ON!

Blog Entries
    i used to work as a machinist so i know the quality of good tools and also the price of how cheap things can get when mass produced
    all this is is bent up aluminum angle stock and then milled. it is good these are made in America but still $15 or so just seems like a lot
    to me for a simple little item.
    but for comparison i just bought a little hand held camcorder the size of a cell phone and it has a little LCD screen and it holds hours of
    video and it was the same price as the 3D square, but of course it is of Asian origin but still... its a camcorder for same price!

i know im going to catch a ton of flack for this but its just wacky the difference in something for same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    i know im going to catch a ton of flack for this but its just wacky the difference in something for same price.
    Getting flack seems to be the norm around here.
    Maybe people didn't pay attention to the ? at the end of my post.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Seeing how they are boxed at the woodworking shows I would not put these in any category of precision or value. I think I would spend the difference and get one from woodpecker.
    http://www.woodpeck.com/clampingsquare6.html
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    i used to work as a machinist so i know the quality of good tools and also the price of how cheap things can get when mass produced
    all this is is bent up aluminum angle stock and then milled. it is good these are made in America but still $15 or so just seems like a lot
    to me for a simple little item.
    Junky isn't really a fair portrayal--they are pretty well made. Junky is the plastic Rockler one I have that I can flex with my hands. Its not angle stock. Its cut from flat stock (around 1/8") and then the two sides are bent. I imagine you could make it from angle, but then you'd have to tig weld the inside corner because that's where all the stress on them is in use and you'd need to cut some clearance on the outside corner weakening it. If you were going to do that, perhaps you could just accurately cut the 45 and weld the whole thing and forgo the bending process.

So, what could you make these for, after paying wages to yourself or others, marketing, insurance, taxes, materials, and everything else they are doing?

My local hardware store sells a 6" corner brace for about $8. Of course made in China and much more simple to manufacture. An extra $7, actually seems pretty cheap.

I'm sure the Woodpecker ones are a whole other level.

Before recycling my beat up old aluminum storm door I pulled it apart and saved the die cast corner bracers which serve to keep the door square. When checked with a square they looked , well, square. The price was right!
    Pete Leyden

Heck this whole tread went a different direction than I thought-----I spent the day hunting around the shop looking for scrap Aluminum-----have you folks been watch the cost??????????????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---