Thread: Bowl gouge angle Bill Grumbine uses?

Bowl gouge angle Bill Grumbine uses?

I currently have a 60 degree grind on my bowl gouge with a fingernail profile. However, it looks different than the grind Bill Grumbine has on his gouge in Turned Bowls Made Easy. I'm having a hard time with a few of the cuts he shows and I want to make sure I'm not starting with the wrong profile. Does anybody (or Bill =) know what angle grind Bill uses in his first video?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Aaron Buys; 04-16-2011 at 12:18 AM.

I don't know what was in the video but the tools are in the 60 degree range... I sell his tools ground at 60 degrees.

Aaron,

If the grind looks short, try rolling the tool past 90° on the sides, this will increase the length of the side bevel, makes the grind longer instead of stubby looking. Gives you more area to work with, especially for shear scraping. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Of course Doug is correct about the degrees. Bill "touched up" my bowl gouges a couple of weeks ago and told me to pay particular attention to the wings in that they should have a slightly convex shape to them. I had a slightly concave shape to mine and the change has made a difference in being able to create the cuts he shows in his video.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Bill "touched up" my bowl gouges a couple of weeks ago
    Talk about a stealth gloat!

I got the Bill Grmbine gouge from Goug Thompson a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to use it much. I just trued up a blank for a friend. It was kind of like owning a ferrari and keeping it under 25 MPH.

Quinn

I got to see a couple of Bill's gouges and they are right at 60* with long wings. I have a couple like that and are really nice to use especially using Bills vertical shear scrape.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.