Thread: First bowl!

First bowl!

Well here is my maiden voyage into bowl making. It's a small piece of walnut finished with Watco. I intended it to have a more traditional bowl shape but had some bad catches which required some reshaping on the fly. I'll probably buff it in a week or so but I thought I would share the work thus far. Thanks for all the advice along the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why is it that my first bowl looked like a rawhide chew toy after a 75 pound German Shepherd spent an afternoon with it?

And why is it that Aaron's first bowl looks better than my most recent bowl?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Looking good for a first, mine never made it to completion. Not an easy piece, with the knot at the bottom and the inclusion or whatever that little crack thingy is on the rim. Nice treatment of the rim, by the way.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Aaron,

Very nice first bowl....some very interesting wood.

Design changes due to catches or variances in the wood are not uncommon.

Well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Purdy piece of walnut. I see many servings of chips/nuts going into that one over the years. I like the inclusion...I strive to find those in any piece I turn. Plain wood is just...well, plain. That's a keeper! Nice work.
    My first walnut bowl didn't go quite so well...ended up finally be saved as a small platter.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Looks great! I know i have a problem with the catchs too. My first segmented bowl attempt ended up in the junk. when a big catch tore out a big chunk of the rim. And i was almost finished with it too. yours looks really good.

Aaron - congrats on completing your first bowl - which looks very nice by the way - just be sure to sign and date it because there is only one 1st! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice bowl and a nice piece of walnut, Aaron, especially for the first!

Really nice for a first. Be sure to sign it and keep it - you'll be amazed when you compare sometime down the road. Can't wait to see your next one.

You've done very well there! And, that's a beautiful piece of walnut, beautiful color. And yes. Sign and date it and hang on to it.

Congratulations on your first bowl! It already has a rich color for such a young age!

Lovely! I think it's got a certain 'graceful' quality which wouldn't be found in my first dozen (or last dozen) forms. Nicely done.

Aaron, you undertook a rather difficult form for your first and pulled it off in fine fashion! Great finish, good toolwork, and a nice result.