Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toolrest: Robust style or the 1" round bar type?

I have both. My main complaints about the round bars is that they screw together, and the screw can come loose, allowing the bar to move until you retighten it. Second, they tend to get dinged up more. Not as bad as the iron rest that some with many lathes, but worse than the Robust. I addition to my Robust straight comfort rest, I really like my Oneway curved bowl rests.

I really appreciate this thread, and all your comments.

I have been wanting to get a shorter tool rest, and was wondering which one to go for.

From your comments it sounds like Robust is going to get at least one more customer - me.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Of course I make everything that I use and I made a round one a while ago and I cut the rod in half to keep the tool close to blank. It works well and I use for for pen turning and finials, I have made a buch of different styles but go back to the same ones all the time.

Raining tonight and all day tomorrow so I will be in the shop all day moving things around and organizing......seems like a never ending battle!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thank you all for your responses! Sounds like there will be another Robust customer soon. I had our local meeting last night and brought up the question to a few members there and they too highly recommended the Robust comfort rests.

Thanks again for the enlightening answers!!