Thread: Small cnc

Small cnc

I am interested in buying/ building a small cnc. Probably build in interest of economy. Has any one used or had anything to do with the microcarve a4 machine? Any suggestions?
    David

2. David, I still have my first Sosylva CNC build you are welcome to. I think everything is there except the router, wires and electronic components. Has been a few years since it has run but you install stepper motors and controller, it should be good to go. Here is a video of it running (years ago). Will do about anything a fellow would want, just don't get in any hurry Should be nice machine for you to get your feet wet.

Last edited by Doug Overstreet; 03-19-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: forgot to attach video

Define Small.

I just built a CNC with a cutting area of 32" x 43" To many here that would be considered small. To me its about as large as I can go with my shop space.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    Define Small.

I just built a CNC with a cutting area of 32" x 43" To many here that would be considered small. To me its about as large as I can go with my shop space.
    microcarve a4 machine, is very small like A4 (letter size), it's based on a fixed gantry design, and made mostly of MDF.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-23-2011 at 9:06 PM.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

That's right it is small. I wanted to cut out turkey calls with it...
    David

6. (don't throw stones at me folks)

Have you considered the Carvewright? It has come a LONG way since the early days and has become quite a capable machine that takes up very little space. I've had mine since 2009 and (touch wood) have had ZERO problems with it. You'd be able to do larger things than just calls if you chose to as well (folks are carving gun stocks, instruments, knife scales etc) I mostly do signs myself.

Lawrence

I have started on the road of building a Joe's Cnc. Probably take a while but it'll be a good one...
    David

Dave, a few of us have built Joes machines. Let us know if you have questions. I converted mine to a CastCNC dual gantry setup with vrail, a K2cnc 8" linear Z, and a welded base at the end of last year. They are very nice machines for sure!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you're looking at a Joe's CNC this might be worth a look: http://ivt.pbclinear.com/IVT/
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

And if you want to jump start your machine, I have Mike's carriages and some iron for sale. My life has changed and I am indefinitely postponed. But my misfortune could be your good fortune. I also have Joe's plans, but I don't know if I am able to sell those or transfer them.
    Carol in NV

I have the plans and most of the angle iron and the 8020 is ordered...Doug Overstreet is cutting my carriages.
    David